• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videotaping Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ibelievet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

I am trying to find the state statute for allowing someone to videotape their own property in the state of Nebraska.
I have lived in my home for over 15 years and about 8 years ago a single mother moved into the house next to me and 2 years later got married. Ever since my husband I divorced, the neighbor's husband seems to think my property belongs to him. He has drilled large, long screws into my fence, he has raked his leaves up against my house, put garbage bags and cans up against my house and continues to come onto my property to throw his trash into my trash cans. I have asked him to please stay off my property and leave my property alone, but he will not. I have spoken to the police many times and was given the suggestion of using a web cam. The neighbor (wife) saw this and is accusing me of watching her children which are hardly ever out in the yard and I have a 5 foot fence, so they can't even be seen unless they get on their trampoline. She is saying I am disturbing their privacy and harrassing them and she is going to turn me in. I have done nothing, but protect my property from her husband. I really need the state statute for Nebraska stating that I have the right to videoptape my backyard even if it does include a small portion of my neighbors. It is not showing any part of their house. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

justalayman

generally, you can record anything that is viewable from any vantage point you are legally allowed to be. Recording through a window to the inside of a home can be a problem in some situations. There gets to be a fine line between legally recording and being a peeping tom.

You should not record audio. While it is legal in many situations simply due to the party being "in public", it is safer to avoid the problems that can come from that.

So, as long as you tape from somewhere on your property, avoid anything inside of their house, and avoid audio, you are not breaking the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">