• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vines and bushes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

softy515

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My neighbors have a grape vine and bushes growing about 1-2 feet from my fence. My fence is about one foot off the property line. (All existing when I bought the home, nothing has been moved.)

I'm battling the vines all spring-fall to keep it from over taking my fence. And now the thorning bush is getting huge and needs trimmed to get to the grape vine.

Legally is there anything I can do or am I destined to fight this fight against the vines and thorns?

Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My neighbors have a grape vine and bushes growing about 1-2 feet from my fence. My fence is about one foot off the property line. (All existing when I bought the home, nothing has been moved.)

I'm battling the vines all spring-fall to keep it from over taking my fence. And now the thorning bush is getting huge and needs trimmed to get to the grape vine.

Legally is there anything I can do or am I destined to fight this fight against the vines and thorns?

Thanks in advance.
You can cut the portions of the bush that are on your property provided doing so will not kill the bushes. You could have a conversation with your neighbor regarding this issue. What do you want to be able to do about this?

softy515

You can cut the portions of the bush that are on your property provided doing so will not kill the bushes. You could have a conversation with your neighbor regarding this issue. What do you want to be able to do about this?

I should add that this property is basically a deserted lot. It is overgrown with trees, weeds, falling apart shed, ect. They do what they have to do to keep the township off their back and do mow what they can. But the bushes, grape vines, random trees growing awkwardly, they leave alone.

I have read various other threads here after the fact. Sorry. I guess I was hoping for personal responsibility on their end. I talked to a friend who will help me remove the plants if they allow me too. If not, I'll keep trimming. Which wasn't so bad until the big thorny bush got so big it's in my way.

justalayman

the only exception to the "if it grows on your side of the property line it is yours to do with as you wish" is where some areas have nuisance ordinances. Some plants that grow very fast and spread quickly might be determined to fall under such a nuisance ordinance where the owner of the plant is charged with preventing it from spreading to a neighboring yard.

You should contact your local governing authorities to check to see if there is any ordinance that might fall into that catagory and help you in your situation.

I know in my area poison ivy must be kept at least 15 feet from my property line and if I recall correctly, I read about a few places dealing with bamboo that classified bamboo as a nuisance plant and the owner of the land the plant started is required to prevent it from spreading.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">