• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walking my dogs at midnight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smutlydog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
For 18 years I have been walking my 3 dogs through the neighborhood and park at midnight. I take strays from the neighborhood and always limit myself to 3 dogs. It's not practical with 3 dogs to use leashes and that's why I do this at midnight. The same cop has been patrolling my neighbored for the past 2 years.He has ID d me several time over the years. Out of nowhere this cop decides to start hassling me about my dogs. He noticed one of my dogs urinating on a tree. He said if the dogs are under my control they don't have to be on a leash but because they sometimes walk in yards I have to do something about it. This is one of the highest crime zip codes in Texas and now this cop is on a dog poop crusade. I have witnessed sever crimes over the years and one was a shooting where and individual was critically injured. I feel as though he has recently become mentally unstable. He presents himself that way. He told me that leaning on a car can mess up the paint and that dog urine changes the color of grass.

So what am I up against here if no one has complained about me? No one is on the streets at that time. I thought this was a animal control thing.

ENASNI

no sweetie

For 18 years I have been walking my 3 dogs through the neighborhood and park at midnight. I take strays from the neighborhood and always limit myself to 3 dogs. It's not practical with 3 dogs to use leashes and that's why I do this at midnight. The same cop has been patrolling my neighbored for the past 2 years.He has ID d me several time over the years. Out of nowhere this cop decides to start hassling me about my dogs. He noticed one of my dogs urinating on a tree. He said if the dogs are under my control they don't have to be on a leash but because they sometimes walk in yards I have to do something about it. This is one of the highest crime zip codes in Texas and now this cop is on a dog poop crusade. I have witnessed sever crimes over the years and one was a shooting where and individual was critically injured. I feel as though he has recently become mentally unstable. He presents himself that way. He told me that leaning on a car can mess up the paint and that dog urine changes the color of grass.

So what am I up against here if no one has complained about me? No one is on the streets at that time. I thought this was a animal control thing.
This is about a animal thing Prop Number 2. If you do not help about making sure there is no number 2 around... they guy has to look after you. help pick around your dogs and the strays and they will not pick on you. For some reason other people who do not LOVE the dogs you like,,, They do not like to see it or smell it. so help pick it up... and they will not complain. okay?

Just Blue

Your dogs are NOT in your "control" if they are not on a leash.

LizzieB

Dogs not on leashes can cause more problems than what you're facing now.

Put 'em on a leash or let them out in your backyard (if it's fenced).

If your neighborhood is so bad, why would you want to be out at midnight walking the streets? :confused:

justalayman

first, you might want to research the restraint laws in your county. So far, any county I have seen requires the animal to be restrained by physical means. If your area requires such action, the cop has been being lenient and you need to understand that.

Then, yes, dog urine kills grass. It costs money to maintain grass and when a dog urinates on grass, it takes additional money to treat the area. If the city allows it, fine but you have no right to damage private lawns.

If your dog craps in a yard, you need to clean it up. Not only it is nasty, it is unhealthy and it damages the lawn.

I am surprised you don't have a law requiring you to clean up the crap. Many areas do and some with some pretty stiff fines.

smutlydog

Does a citizen have to complain or does a cop have to witness my dog doing something for me to get a ticket?I realize most of you think in black or white. My son is a soldier and he is the same way. My neighborhood is a Hispanic no snitch zone so no one complains to the cops about anything here. I did have a man tell me once that if he ever caught one of my dogs in his yard he would cut all 4 of his legs off and dump him in my yard. :eek:There are always cops at his house for domestic violence.We no longer walk by his house.

Just Blue

Does a citizen have to complain or does a cop have to witness my dog doing something for me to get a ticket?I realize most of you think in black or white. My son is a soldier and he is the same way. My neighborhood is a Hispanic no snitch zone so no one complains to the cops about anything here. I did have a man tell me once that if he ever caught one of my dogs in his yard he would cut all 4 of his legs off and dump him in my yard. :eek:There are always cops at his house for domestic violence.We no longer walk by his house.

Wow. Just...Wow. So if your daughter was being attacked/raped you and or your neighbors would not call 911?

Keep your dogs on a leash. Hope you are not mugged/shot/stabbed and in need of neighbors assistance. Per your post you will be up S's creek.

154NH773

It's not about whether someone "witnesses" what your dogs do. It's about acting in a responsible manner, considerate of others and within the law. All the other crap about crime and ethnic tendencies is BS.
As a dog lover, I would never allow my dogs to go to the bathroom in other people's yards, or in public parks where children play. You are lucky you have not been cited already. Care about people as much as you claim to care about dogs, and you'll be fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">