• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want property back that neighbors are using

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BiTo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am living in the house my Grandmother bought in 1957.

When she planted shrubs, she planted them five feet in from the property line. Anyways, to make a long story short, our neighbors have been using that 5 (5 x 100') feet of land for over 25 years. Now they are selling the house and I want my 5 feet of property back. I am thinking of having the land resurveyed which would put stakes, on what they think is their land. This would put a damper on them selling the property, I do believe. Thoughts on this?

Thank you

BiTo

The Greek

They gotta know

The Property is clearly marked on legal land plats that are public record at your local courthouse. Go get a copy of it. Then you have to be careful on how you approach the subject with your neighbors. If you "dispute" over it, it could get very tangled. But if you just start doing some, perhaps, gardening on that part of the land and they approach you with some question of why you are gardening on their land, then you can say and show them that it is your land <importandt> "and you did not mind them using it, but they certainly cannot sell it". Also, whom ever is buying the land should have a copy of the land platt that they are buying, also showing the boundaries. If for some reason these platts do not exist, then yes you should have the land resurveyed. But if you are 100% sure that the land is yours, then take care of it and show a clear boundary, not a invisible one.

Remember, the population grows every year, land does not.

Shel77

If you are certain of where the property line is and you have documentation to back that up, claim what is yours especially if you think the new buyers may not want to buy the house if they knew that 5 feet was not apart of the deal, they would be more of a pain to deal with than the current neighbor. Place property stakes up or plant additional bushes whatever you think looks appealing while at the same time makes it obvious that it belongs to you. If you do not know for certain or do not have a survey then you will need to have one done prior to claiming this or it could get nasty.

You may find that talking to your neighbors about this might work; simply ask them if they know where the exact property line is (because you were thinking of having a survey done) and see if they really do believe that that 5 feet is there’s.

Wait for them to move out. Before the new owners move in, put in something (as mentioned above) to clearly mark the property line. Noone will be the wiser :D .

HomeGuru

BiTo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am living in the house my Grandmother bought in 1957.

When she planted shrubs, she planted them five feet in from the property line. Anyways, to make a long story short, our neighbors have been using that 5 (5 x 100') feet of land for over 25 years. Now they are selling the house and I want my 5 feet of property back. I am thinking of having the land resurveyed which would put stakes, on what they think is their land. This would put a damper on them selling the property, I do believe. Thoughts on this?

Thank you

**A: order a current survey and fence in your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">