• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to record neighbor's business customers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iditarod656

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

My neighbor is running a business out of his condo. We don't have an on-site manager, but we do have an HOA rule against running a business. I live on the side of the building where his customers park, and they walk by my condo to around to the back side where he lives - the side facing the street. If I put video cameras in my bedrooms windows I'd be able to get proof that a lot of people are walking by, but not that they are specifically going to his place. I'm still considering doing it, just to encourage them to park somewhere else. The sidewalk is not far from my windows, so anyone walking on the sidewalk, including children, would get videotaped. And that is what concerns me. legally. The cameras would also be videotaping people who park in their own designated parking spots, which are right in front of my window. If this does not sound a good bet even though it is outside and therefore legal, what else could I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Assuming that what you are proposing is 100% legal...what do you hope to accomplish with the recordings that can't be accomplished by other means?

iditarod656

What I want is to get proof that the guy is running a business and report him to the HOA and/or his condo owner. The won't just take me at my word.

Zigner

What I want is to get proof that the guy is running a business and report him to the HOA and/or his condo owner. The won't just take me at my word.
How will video recordings of people walking prove that?

How do you plan to force the HOA to act?

Zigner

OK, getting back to my question, what ELSE can I do to report the guy for running a business?
Report them to the HOA. Beyond that, if it's not against the law and the HOA can't or won't do anything, then there may not be much you can do.

FarmerJ

What does your city zoning desk say about the zoning rules for your area that might or would not allow a business to run from that building?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">