• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can we do about property/code issues?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

therex10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

We put up a pool when we moved here and were told we needed to have it over 5 feet off the property line as well as an entry fence and/or lock (which we did 8 ft) The neighbor put up a shed that is less than 5 feet away as well as the other neighbor put up a pool with no fence or lock that is easily accessible to young children not far from the road. In addition, they put up small bushes to try to hide the pool. The other neighbor is dumping trash on his neighbor's property that burned down (& they moved) and nothing has been done about that and another neighbor has had cement pilings on their property 1 whole year.

The borough basically stated too bad to us - that the other neighbors didn't have to follow rules but we do. In addition the code officer said too bad - note he also oversees 21 municipals and only comes here once or twice a year when the neighbor calls to harass us. The code officer before him held 3 different offices in the borough (probably illegal in PA & conflict of interest) & wasn't even certified. We want the borough sent a letter stating that the other neighbors MUST follow PA state rules as well as us (with the rules cited) and the other neighbor sent a letter to quit harassing us. She keeps turning us in for cats that people drop off/aren't ours & other issues since she has nothing to do all day but harass us. Her groundhogs keep coming over our house & eating the cat food & she says we don't feed our cats. We buy numerous bags of cat food weekly & have receipts to prove it. She also put up a high fence & tore out our property line post that we paid several hundred dollars to have surveyed to make sure where the property boundaries are. Her tree overhung our pool and put numerous leaves in it ruining it all the time. It cost us $800 to have water trucked in since we have a well. We have to put a new liner in. We paid $400 to have one of our trees cut down so the leaves would quit flying in the pool and she was all mad stating the shade was gone. We are doing the best we can with our property under all our circumstances. We have been through numerous medical issues, surgeries, diabetes, cancer, broen bones, etc over the past 3 years as well as lived in another state (Ohio) for almost 9 months of that time while trying to maintain this property. It does need work-but we have purchased thousands of dollars of supplies & equipment over the past year and it isn't like we have not done anything at all. We tried to put up a shed to accomodate all my husband's work equipment & the borough stated we had to put it where they wanted so we didn't put it up. Now we are going to put it up on our old garage cement pad they made us tear down - that we found we have been paying taxes for the last 10 years with nothing there. The borough made us tear it down because it was in poor condition. We wanted to fix it since it was cheaper than building a new one and they would not allow us. We need someone who knows the laws and can help us cheaply. Note we are zoned commercial /unclassified (although the borough states we are residential)-they also state we are not allowed to call & speak to the tax representatives regarding our tax classification.
We called the county and several lawyers and no one knows what we can do about this- if anything. There are no lawyers on this in our area and we live in the borough (less than 1,000)- although we are not really in town. Although we are in the borough- we do not have sidealks or curbs like the rest of town and the borough refuses to give us these. We were going to put our own sidewalks in until we found out it would be $1,000 and that was 5 years ago, so I am sure it ould be more now.

What can we do about all of this? Can anyone help?
Are there any laws we can use?
Do state laws supercede borough laws and if so- are there any that will help us?
We don't have money to file all these lawsuits with our thousands of dollars in medical bills and we know the fence neighbor will get the others all against us anyways- so it won't matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

We put up a pool when we moved here and were told we needed to have it over 5 feet off the property line as well as an entry fence and/or lock (which we did 8 ft) The neighbor put up a shed that is less than 5 feet away as well as the other neighbor put up a pool with no fence or lock that is easily accessible to young children not far from the road. In addition, they put up small bushes to try to hide the pool. The other neighbor is dumping trash on his neighbor's property that burned down (& they moved) and nothing has been done about that and another neighbor has had cement pilings on their property 1 whole year.

The borough basically stated too bad to us - that the other neighbors didn't have to follow rules but we do. In addition the code officer said too bad - note he also oversees 21 municipals and only comes here once or twice a year when the neighbor calls to harass us. The code officer before him held 3 different offices in the borough (probably illegal in PA & conflict of interest) & wasn't even certified. We want the borough sent a letter stating that the other neighbors MUST follow PA state rules as well as us (with the rules cited) and the other neighbor sent a letter to quit harassing us. She keeps turning us in for cats that people drop off/aren't ours & other issues since she has nothing to do all day but harass us. Her groundhogs keep coming over our house & eating the cat food & she says we don't feed our cats. We buy numerous bags of cat food weekly & have receipts to prove it. She also put up a high fence & tore out our property line post that we paid several hundred dollars to have surveyed to make sure where the property boundaries are. Her tree overhung our pool and put numerous leaves in it ruining it all the time. It cost us $800 to have water trucked in since we have a well. We have to put a new liner in. We paid $400 to have one of our trees cut down so the leaves would quit flying in the pool and she was all mad stating the shade was gone. We are doing the best we can with our property under all our circumstances. We have been through numerous medical issues, surgeries, diabetes, cancer, broen bones, etc over the past 3 years as well as lived in another state (Ohio) for almost 9 months of that time while trying to maintain this property. It does need work-but we have purchased thousands of dollars of supplies & equipment over the past year and it isn't like we have not done anything at all. We tried to put up a shed to accomodate all my husband's work equipment & the borough stated we had to put it where they wanted so we didn't put it up. Now we are going to put it up on our old garage cement pad they made us tear down - that we found we have been paying taxes for the last 10 years with nothing there. The borough made us tear it down because it was in poor condition. We wanted to fix it since it was cheaper than building a new one and they would not allow us. We need someone who knows the laws and can help us cheaply. Note we are zoned commercial /unclassified (although the borough states we are residential)-they also state we are not allowed to call & speak to the tax representatives regarding our tax classification.
We called the county and several lawyers and no one knows what we can do about this- if anything. There are no lawyers on this in our area and we live in the borough (less than 1,000)- although we are not really in town. Although we are in the borough- we do not have sidealks or curbs like the rest of town and the borough refuses to give us these. We were going to put our own sidewalks in until we found out it would be $1,000 and that was 5 years ago, so I am sure it ould be more now.

What can we do about all of this? Can anyone help?
Are there any laws we can use?
Do state laws supercede borough laws and if so- are there any that will help us?
We don't have money to file all these lawsuits with our thousands of dollars in medical bills and we know the fence neighbor will get the others all against us anyways- so it won't matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: why did you not get a permit for the pool?

therex10

reply to question

we did get a permit for the pool when we originally put it up. We are the only neighbors in the neighborhood that have to follow the laws & rules. Everyone else can do whatever they want.

NC Aggie

Sorry if I didn't bother to read all the details but if your pool is within a required setback, it's out of compliance. Doesn't matter what your other neighbors are doing...that's a different issue. The bottomline is you're out of compliance, it's that simple!

therex10

reply to answer

We are in compliance. We needed to put the pool at least 5 feet off the property line. We went 8-10 feet to make sure we were far enough away. It is all the other neighbors who are out of compliance as well as taking our property stakes out, etc and the borough told us the neighbors can do whatever they want but we have to follow the rules (only us). We are the only ones in compliance regarding the pool with the fence & distance but they won't do anything to the others.

csi7

Check with the state agency that oversees the regulations for the area.
You have the right to speak with tax representative, and there should be a state agency that will help you get that information sorted out as well.
Get all your documents in order and write out all the evidence in a timeline, so you have the paperwork, complaints, and statements in order to make it easier for the agency to know what you did, from the beginning, and what you want done to resolve the situation fairly.
Often, there is a misunderstanding somewhere in the communication, and if you get it as simple as you can, it may get resolved quickly.
Keep track of who you talk to, contact telephone numbers, dates, times, and information provided.
Best wishes!

therex10

Thanks! I did try to call the state (several agency departments- buildings & grounds, construction, etc) and got an answering machine. I left a message but I am not sure if it was the correct agency. They never called me back and the local government is uncooperative. They state there is 'nothing' we can do!

154NH773

Sorry; after reading your long post, I really don't know what your problem is. Why are you talking about suing someone? For what reason?

You must follow the laws, and so must your neighbors. If you believe your neighbors are being allowed to ignore the law, make a written complaint to the municipality.

It is possible that some structures may be legal even if within the current setbacks, if they pre-existed the zoning codes.

Take on the fights that will gain you something, not the ones that will only harass your neighbors. What will it benefit you if your neighbor is found guilty of not having a fence or gate for his pool? It really only should matter to you if you have small kids that may wander into his pool.

therex10

No- sorry you misunderstood. I don't want to sue anyone. I want to know why the neighbors are allowed to not comply with laws and I must? Apparently my neighbors do not have to comply with the laws because the borough is not making them do so. Their pool did not pre-exist before the current zoning laws. I have complained to the municipal & code officer and they have stated too bad (one neighbor has an uncle on the police force). There are small children in the neighborhood that can get into the pool when they are not home. In fact - their 9 yr old son broke his arm when hit by a car because they let him outside all the time without watching him. We are all located in close proximity to a road. My neighbors are harassing me by pulling out my surveyed land post, letting leaves fall in my pool from their tree (It is really hard to clean a pool with a broken arm), allowing their groundhogs to come over & eat my cat food (they state we do not feed our cats-that is a serious offense here-you can go to jail for that where I live), etc-numerous other things. I am not allowed to break the laws but they are for some reason. I have not done anything to them - although they are constantly breaking the laws. It will benefit tme that they ill quit harassing me if they see they are not above the law although they seem to think so since they do whatever they want whenever they want-including weekend beer parties after midnight.

154NH773

First of all; you did mention lawsuits.
We don't have money to file all these lawsuits
the other neighbors didn't have to follow rules but we do
That is untrue; however, the municipality has the right to selectively enforce laws. There is a legal means through the courts to try and make them enforce the law, but that is expensive. A better way would be to put your complaints in WRITING to them, and copy the local newspaper.

My neighbors are harassing me by pulling out my surveyed land post
That is illegal, and if you have proof you can make a criminal complaint to the police.

letting leaves fall in my pool from their tree
there is nothing you can do about that. It is not illegal. You can trim any branches that overhang the property line, but must not kill the tree by doing so.

allowing their groundhogs to come over & eat my cat food
I don't understand this. Are the groundhogs domesticated animals? Pets? How many cats do you have?

want-including weekend beer parties after midnight.
You keep adding issues to this post. It seems like you have many issues with your neighbors, and I'm sure they have issues with you. Take a step back and look at your life, and only worry about the way you live it. Don't worry about how others live their lives unless it actually affects you directly. Follow the law, and don't try to get around it because you perceive that someone else may be getting around it.

LdiJ

No- sorry you misunderstood. I don't want to sue anyone. I want to know why the neighbors are allowed to not comply with laws and I must? Apparently my neighbors do not have to comply with the laws because the borough is not making them do so. Their pool did not pre-exist before the current zoning laws. I have complained to the municipal & code officer and they have stated too bad (one neighbor has an uncle on the police force). There are small children in the neighborhood that can get into the pool when they are not home. In fact - their 9 yr old son broke his arm when hit by a car because they let him outside all the time without watching him. We are all located in close proximity to a road. My neighbors are harassing me by pulling out my surveyed land post, letting leaves fall in my pool from their tree (It is really hard to clean a pool with a broken arm), allowing their groundhogs to come over & eat my cat food (they state we do not feed our cats-that is a serious offense here-you can go to jail for that where I live), etc-numerous other things. I am not allowed to break the laws but they are for some reason. I have not done anything to them - although they are constantly breaking the laws. It will benefit tme that they ill quit harassing me if they see they are not above the law although they seem to think so since they do whatever they want whenever they want-including weekend beer parties after midnight.
Groundhogs are wild animals, they do not "belong" to anybody so how can it be your neighbor's fault that wild animals are eating the cat food that you put outside? There could be all kinds of wild animals eating that cat food.

drewguy

No- sorry you misunderstood. I don't want to sue anyone. I want to know why the neighbors are allowed to not comply with laws and I must? Apparently my neighbors do not have to comply with the laws because the borough is not making them do so. Their pool did not pre-exist before the current zoning laws.
It sucks that the enforcement of the law/code isn't even-handed. But is non-enforcement actually hurting you or creating a risk to you or your family? You've already spent the money on your pool, so even if the city doesn't enforce the rules you've already paid the money. If necessary find some higher-level government to complain to about conflict of interest.

As for tree, your neighbors have a right to have their tree. If branches hang over your pool you can cut them to the property line (so long as you don't harm the tree). Or get a pool cover.

For cat food, don't leave it outside. If the groundhogs are "pets" then check whether that's legal. If they're just burrowed in there, well why is that your neighbor's fault?

therex10

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will just ignore everything like usual. I have too many medical issues going on to worry about it. I just thought there was something I could do that wouldn't cost a lot. The police here won't do anything. They laughed when someone loosened our truck lugnuts and we almost wrecked. We have called after midnight about the noise & wild parties & they just tell them to 'tone it down'. Their uncle is on the force. I do try to follow the law to the best of my ability. The neighbor's have groundhogs under their porch. They are wild ones but they know about them and do nothing. If I cut the overhanging branches-they will purposely state it killed the trees even if they were already dying- just to cause trouble so I won't do that. They are alays trying to cause problems and get things free. I have 4 cats which is what we are allowed. It is true they don't have to follow the laws. There is no fence around their pool, their shed is not 5 feet off the property line, etc, etc-the list is endless and it has been this way for years not recently. They just keep adding to it. Filing a police report won't do anything. We have done that before. I don't bother with them and try to leave them alone, stay away-but they try to continually harass us and I am sick of it. If I could afford to move-I would in a heartbeat but I am also paying my daughter's bills (who is very ill). I really don't have the time for it. The one retired early and has nothing better to do than drum up trouble as much as possible-no life-should be volunteering or helping someone instead.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will just ignore everything like usual. I have too many medical issues going on to worry about it. I just thought there was something I could do that wouldn't cost a lot. The police here won't do anything. They laughed when someone loosened our truck lugnuts and we almost wrecked. We have called after midnight about the noise & wild parties & they just tell them to 'tone it down'. Their uncle is on the force. I do try to follow the law to the best of my ability. The neighbor's have groundhogs under their porch. They are wild ones but they know about them and do nothing. If I cut the overhanging branches-they will purposely state it killed the trees even if they were already dying- just to cause trouble so I won't do that. They are alays trying to cause problems and get things free. I have 4 cats which is what we are allowed. It is true they don't have to follow the laws. There is no fence around their pool, their shed is not 5 feet off the property line, etc, etc-the list is endless and it has been this way for years not recently. They just keep adding to it. Filing a police report won't do anything. We have done that before. I don't bother with them and try to leave them alone, stay away-but they try to continually harass us and I am sick of it. If I could afford to move-I would in a heartbeat but I am also paying my daughter's bills (who is very ill). I really don't have the time for it. The one retired early and has nothing better to do than drum up trouble as much as possible-no life-should be volunteering or helping someone instead.
I gotta ask: After all of this, what did you expect a random group of internet strangers to be able to do?

NC Aggie

This post is going**************..lol!

But to the O.P., I worked for several years for a municipality and I doubt very seriously they told you or implied that only YOU had to follow the rules or codes. Maybe that's what you took from their response or lack of response to certain complaints but it's unlikely they would single you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">