• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What makes an easement legit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm looking at buying a property which is said to have a 15' wide easement to the property but how can I tell if it's a legit easement?

Thanks..

---Mike

FarmerJ

It will be properly recorded to the title I would guess, Like if I were to grant a neighbor a easement over my land to get to theirs then it should be recorded so that any buyer of my property in the future would find it and any buyer of the property who would use it would be able to find it. ( unfortunately many years ago some neighbors did not bother with getting things like easements recorded especially if they both were related/family members so I would suggest maybe the best thing is to use a title search company to verify not only that the title is clear but to see if they can verify if there are any recorded easements granted to the property or to use the links above to speak to a atty. BTW have you called the county this property is in to determine if a 15 ft wide easement for getting in and out meets its codes since ideally for ambulance, fire truck -emergency vehicle use your county may have via ordinance required more .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">