• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who has ingress/egress rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Karenj

What is the name of your state? Texas
Hello and thank you in advance for any help you are able to give me.
There is a deeded access easement accross the back of my property for my neighbor behind me. This accress runs between 6 lots on each side to meet up with a perpendicular village road. (We are at the opposite end) About 10 years ago, the village puchased the access rights from everyone except my neighbor (behind me) and paved the easement. His lot is accessible from the end of the paved part. The easement from there, to about 2/3 the way accross the back of my lot is packed dirt/gravel, where it ends and from there is grass. It is obvious that the easement ends at this particular point as it is no longer level, besides which the deed states in feet how long it is. My problem is an adjoining (diagonal) neighbor who cuts across our property to use the easement and continue to the main road.
My question is whether or not he has any rights to this. The deed states it is for ingress and egress for the original owners of the land (it was originally one large parcel) and their ensigns. (Apologies if my wording is incorrect). He has also stated that he has been in touch with a paving company for the remaining area.
We would like to be good neighbors, and he does this infrequently, but has not asked permission of us. We feel that if we plant some bushes at the end, he would just go around them, as my husband has roped off the end and just yesterday he untied the ropes, drove through and retied them. We have spoken to both him and the dog-walking neighbor who daily cuts through.
If this makes any sense, could you please tell me who has rights to the easement? Since the neighbors behind us have no need of it, can we put a locked gate across where the paving ends? We have approached the village about getting rid of it and were told we needed to get everone's permission in writing, which I don't understand, as the village now owns the rights (except for those on our property) I hope this makes sense and I thank you once again for any advice you are able to offer.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">