• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns building that staddles property line?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TireGuy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I recently bought a property that includes a large pole barn that straddles the property line between my property and a neighbors. I need to know who legally owns the building or if we each own half. Here is the situation:

Both parcels (mine and neighbor's) were originally owned by same person going back to 1920's or so.
The barn was built approximately 1950's I think. It looks about that old.
A few years ago the owner of the two parcels (now descendants of the original owner) appear to have gotten into mortgage trouble with a bank.
2-1/2 years ago they sold the adjoining parcel (presumably with the banks OK) to my current neighbor
6 months ago I bought the remaining parcel from the bank. The owner had deeded this parcel to the bank "in lieu of foreclosure".

My current neighbor claims to own the half of the barn that is on his property. He had his property surveyed and I am not disputing the marker locations. I believe I own the entire barn, even the part on his property. My reasoning is this:

Slightly over 50% of the barn is on my property. There is an additional attached shed which brings approx. 70% on my property.
The entire barn is listed on my tax record and I pay taxes on the entire building. No buildings are listed on my neighbors tax record.
The electric service comes from my house
The gas service goes to the barn from the gas main going down the street. The account is under the address of my property but the gas line appears to run under my neighbor's property near the property line. This originally ran first to the barn, then serviced my house from the barn, but I have since gotten a separate gas connection for my house
There are three overhead doorways (door had been removed by previous owner) - the middle one is on the property line (slightly more than half on my side though). One door is fully on my property and the other is on the neighbor's.
There is one man door and it is on my side.
There is no dividing wall or party wall in the middle, but my neighbor has generously agreed to let me install one at my expense (LOL)

I do not believe there are any prescriptive easements or adverse possession at play here since the previous owner cannot get an easement from himself and neither the current neighbor nor I have been using the barn for more than 2-1/2 years. The encroachment is obvious and we both were aware of it when we bought our properties.

I am sure there is some similar court case where a decision has been made regarding full ownership by one party or joint ownership. If this was a house I doubt anyone would agree to share the house or have joint use of say, the bedroom.

Can anyone provide any legally based justification , court ruling, or other supporting argument for who owns the barn - hopefully with me owning it all. My neighbor and I are both reasonable and trying to be good neighbors. If I can show some legal precedent we might reach an agreement and be able to avoid getting lawyers involved.

Thanks for all advice - sorry this is so lengthy but the situation is somewhat complicated.

justalayman

Let's start with you presumption on the matter: why is your barn on his property? Why is he supposed to allow then encroachment? You seem to want your cake and to eat it too.

FarmerJ

Arrange to move your barn Or use the links above to speak to a real estate atty and talk to the atty about the cost of doing a land swap or any other option you may have.

TireGuy

Who is is the leagal owner

Justalayman: I just want to know who legally owns all or part of the barn. Naturally I would like the law to support that I own it. Until I know our standing on ownership I don't know the best course to deal with it. I have offered to dismantle the half on the neighbor's property, but he says he wants to use the half on his side.

154NH773

I don't think there is anyone on this forum who can tell you "who owns the barn".

Perhaps there is caselaw that might be helpful, but I believe you will have to go to court to determine who is the owner.

There is little chance that either of you will be able to claim the land under the other side of the barn. Whoever gets ownership will have to move it, or make rental arangements.

OK-LL

Not answering your question re how you can keep the entire barn, but rather offering an idea you may need to investigate: Does your county have setback requirements for the type of property you own (agriculture, residential, or ??) I'm sure you've already thought of each of you installing an interior wall for the portion of the barn within your property boundary, and then you can build the barn out on your side of the building. You might want to investigate whether the neighbor bought his property with the known prescriptive easement, since the building appears to have been owned by the Seller at the time he bought the property (based on assessment evidence, etc.) -- did the Seller continue to use the full building until you bought your property?

justalayman

Actually the question is quite simple if the person that originally split the pArcel made the determination of which parcel the barn was part

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">