• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns fence after 7 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfarmer

What is the name of your state? NC
I have heard people say that if a fence is on the property line for 7 years it will belong to the neighbor. I don't understand this. Is this correct? What are they talking about when they mention the "7 year fence" subject?

Last edited:

bfarmer

Neighbors cut down my trees!

NC
We have lived in this house for 10 years and my neighbors have been here 1 year. My neighbors cut down my trees along 90ft of my fence when they cut theirs down. My fence is 2ft within my property line at one end and 4ft within my property line at the other end. These were large shade trees. We have lost our privacy and our shade. We now look in the windows of houses we have never seen before. Our daughter has no shade to play in and our dogs have lost their shady places to lay. Due to the sun, we have to close the blinds to eat breakfast in the morning now, instead of watching the squirrels play and birds take baths in the birdbath. We have azaleas and other plants dying in the yard due to the hot sun they are now exposed to.
We spoke to them about the trees being on our property and they said that their realtor told them our fence was on the property line. (it is not and we had it surveyed before we put it up). I asked them why they didn't check the survey/layout of the property that would have been in their closing package for the house instead of taking someone elses word about our fence. They would plant more trees but I don't know when. What if they plant small trees that I may never get shade from? We can't believe the difference in the "atmosphere" we have lost with the loss of our trees! What are my options and who is responsible for our loss- the neighbors, the realtor, or the guy that cut the trees down?

bfarmer

Neighbors cut down our shade trees!

bfarmer said:
What is the name of your state? NC
I have heard people say that if a fence is on the property line for 7 years it will belong to the neighbor. I don't understand this. Is this correct? What are they talking about when they mention the "7 year fence" subject?

NC
We have lived in this house for 10 years and my neighbors have been here 1 year. My neighbors cut down my trees along 90ft of my fence when they cut theirs down. My fence is 2ft within my property line at one end and 4ft within my property line at the other end. These were large shade trees. We have lost our privacy and our shade. We now look in the windows of houses we have never seen before. Our daughter has no shade to play in and our dogs have lost their shady places to lay. Due to the sun, we have to close the blinds to eat breakfast in the morning now, instead of watching the squirrels play and birds take baths in the birdbath. We have azaleas and other plants dying in the yard due to the hot sun they are now exposed to.
We spoke to them about the trees being on our property and they said that their realtor told them our fence was on the property line. (it is not and we had it surveyed before we put it up). I asked them why they didn't check the survey/layout of the property that would have been in their closing package for the house instead of taking someone elses word about our fence. They would plant more trees but I don't know when. What if they plant small trees that I may never get shade from? We can't believe the difference in the "atmosphere" we have lost with the loss of our trees! What are my options and who is responsible for our loss- the neighbors, the realtor, or the guy that cut the trees down?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">