+ Reply to Thread
    btvski is offline Junior Member

Who owns the key?

Hi,

I rent a condo with a deeded parking space which is blocked in by my neighbor who owns the adjoining condo. In order to aid in the moving of her car, our neighbor gave us a copy of her key and clicker (aka FOB) to move her car when we need to get out.

My roommate and I lost her key, and after a week decided we would have to replace it. So we took her car to the dealership and paid $300 dollars to replace the key and clicker. A month later, we found the original spare key.

My question is, now that we are moving out, who is the owner of the $300 key and clicker? We would like to keep the clicker and give the neighbor her key back, because, while we can't re-cut the key, we can reprogram the clicker to our own car which is a similar model. Can we keep the clicker? Or does she have some right to it because it is programed to her vehicle?

Thanks!
    tranquility is offline Senior Member
    Your bailment was for a key and fob and that is all that need be returned to her.

That you have another way into her vehicle is a little disturbing, but I'd just tell her about it and let her know you will be reprogramming it. As to if the information/data on the fob is improperly obtained and you have to clear it off if demanded is a difficult question of which I have no idea. But, the fob belongs to you.