• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who to take to Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaveCs

Minnesota
A owner of an adjacent rental complex hired an uninsured guy to cut some trees down on his side of the property line. In the process of cutting the trees down a branch hit my shed making it unusable. The damage was done after I had locked it up for the winter I wasn't aware of the damage until April of this year. I called the cops and have the report. I contacted the property owner he said he wasn't really involved and gave me the name of his hire man. After contacting him, he admits it's his fault and wants to make it right with me every time I talk to him. The shed is around 10 years old but has a replacement value of around $2200.00. Who do I take to small claims The property owner or the guy he hired to cut his trees down and how much to request?

Thank you.

FarmerJ

depends on how much your gonna sue for, if your going to use small claims court then if you named them both in the summons the Judge can decide if one of them should be dropped from the complaint. http://www.mncourts.gov/Help-Topics/Conciliation-Court.aspx Conciliation Court is also known as "small claims" court. General claims of $15,000 or less can be filed in Conciliation Court. < that page had that listed, I didn't know the limit so looked that up. SO the easy way is if you named them both and let the court figure it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">