• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Width of the deeded access

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjhon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I live in Haralson county in Georgia. I have a land locked property of around 150 acres. The owner of the property, who is between my property and a Georgia Highway has kindly agreed to give me a deeded access to the highway. However, the width of the proposed deeded access is 30 feet wide. My question is: whether 30 feet is enough (and legally OK) to get the following: (i). two way drive-way between my land and the highway (ii). to bring county water into my property and (iii). to bring electricity into my property.

What is the minimum width that is needed for all these activities together

Please let me know if anything else is needed through this deeded access and if so, whether this 30 feet width is OK for me for all future activities (I am planning to build a neighborhood in my 150 acres in the distant future).

racer72

If you plan to do all the above, I would suggest hiring a land use attorney. Besides the above issues, you will need him/her for other things too. The volunteers of this site don't have the time to search through all the state and county laws to correctly address your issues.

154NH773

If you plan to do all the above, I would suggest hiring a land use attorney.
I agree with this advice.

If you plan to further develop your property, the easement must take that into account. If you plan to have a municipality take over the road at some point, or even just meet subdivision requirements, it probably must meet all the local requirements of a town road. The utilities may have specific requirements in your area, and it may depend on whether you intend to bury utilities or have them aboveground.

As an example; in my town, any private road or drive serving more than two houses must meet all requirements for municipal roads and be built to town specifications, and that is a minimum of 50' width. It may vary widely between states and towns.

Just way too many variables to get a good answer over the internet.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

If the grantor of the easement discovered that you were building little suburbia back there dont you think they would take you to court and sue you arguing that you are over burdening the easement ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">