• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will be listing house...Neighbor is renting is place to several families

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomustard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My brother and I have owned our home for 10 years. 5 years ago, John (not real name) bought the house on the north side. We share a long narrow driveway. We are just outside the city limits. Both on well and county sewer. Four years ago john put a mobile home on the back of his property and has rented it out. Do not know if it has permits. A year ago, John moved in with his girlfriend and rented his place out the two or more Mexican families. There are about 7 or 8 cars now parked on that side of the driveway. We don't even know how many people occupy his place. He has a 1/2 acre. 3 bd. 2 bath 1400 sq ft house, workshop, and mobile home. We have not seen John since he moved out.
We are now going to be listing our home for sell and concerned about the situation next door. It certainly will not help us get a decent price for our place. We should check with the county to see what the zoning is here...I don't really want to stir up the pot but this is getting out of hand.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My brother and I have owned our home for 10 years. 5 years ago, John (not real name) bought the house on the north side. We share a long narrow driveway. We are just outside the city limits. Both on well and county sewer. Four years ago john put a mobile home on the back of his property and has rented it out. Do not know if it has permits. A year ago, John moved in with his girlfriend and rented his place out the two or more Mexican families. There are about 7 or 8 cars now parked on that side of the driveway. We don't even know how many people occupy his place. He has a 1/2 acre. 3 bd. 2 bath 1400 sq ft house, workshop, and mobile home. We have not seen John since he moved out.
We are now going to be listing our home for sell and concerned about the situation next door. It certainly will not help us get a decent price for our place. We should check with the county to see what the zoning is here...I don't really want to stir up the pot but this is getting out of hand.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I'm not sure what it is you wish to attain.

(Why you felt it necessary to also make special mention of their ethnicity, I don't know. Well, we do, let's face it)

Checking to see what, if any, zoning laws apply would be a good move.

Otherwise - well, kinda sucks that they had you for a neigbor, huh? :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm not sure what it is you wish to attain.

(Why you felt it necessary to also make special mention of their ethnicity, I don't know. Well, we do, let's face it)

Checking to see what, if any, zoning laws apply would be a good move.

Otherwise - well, kinda sucks that they had you for a neigbor, huh? :cool:
I am just going to state it -- OP if you want to be a bigot, do NOT assume that everyone else is as narrow minded as you are. Many people don't care about the neighbor's ethnic background. You don't mention there is an issue actually with these people except the amount of cars that are there. If David Justice or Jay Leno lived next door and they brought all their cars, that wouldn't bother you, now would it? You would be BRAGGING then. Even if you could see all their cars.

And I agree with Pro, it sucks that they had you for a neighbor.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No worries - it's likely they're not Mexican at all, what with the influx of folks from all over South America.

(To be clear - this is to point out the idiocy of the OP's statement that they are Mexicans)

FarmerJ

No matter where they were born if your county has has not zoned that lot for a second housing unit then they can address this with the owner so get it over with call the county and ask questions, the first being `is address 1234 dracula drive zoned for two homes on one parcel or not ?` # 2 would the county have required a permit to connect the second home onto the public sewer ? #3 would the county have required a permit to put in that second home if there was no rule in place limiting that lot to just a single family home? If a zoning variance was given to that lot owner you want to know where in the H was your copy of the public hearing notice sent to?

jomustard

No matter where they were born if your county has has not zoned that lot for a second housing unit then they can address this with the owner so get it over with call the county and ask questions, the first being `is address 1234 dracula drive zoned for two homes on one parcel or not ?` # 2 would the county have required a permit to connect the second home onto the public sewer ? #3 would the county have required a permit to put in that second home if there was no rule in place limiting that lot to just a single family home? If a zoning variance was given to that lot owner you want to know where in the H was your copy of the public hearing notice sent to?
Thank you for your response. I will check the county to see if a zoning variance was given and, if so, why we weren't notified.
btw, I am not a bigot. I don't care about the ethnicity of the neighbors. It was a mistake mentioning that. The problem is we have a shared driveway with The number of people living there, all the cars parked along the shared driveway sometimes make it difficult to backup. The shared driveway is gravel and the excess traffic is creating large holes in the driveway.
This is supposed to be a peaceful semi-country area. Some people enjoy privacy and quiet.
If a person wants a lot of people around & cars driving in and out at all hours, they might prefer an apartment complex.
Yes, it is too bad they have us for neighbors. We should just rent our place out to several families, put a mobile home in our backyard and turn this area into a more urban atmosphere. Plus, with the amount of rent we'd be getting, we could quit our jobs and live high on the hog. The neighbors won't mind.

jomustard

Cramped conditions

Forget my comment about who the people are....it doesn't matter! What matters is there are too many per sq. ft. turning spacious country living into cramped living. I was curious if there are any laws about how many people can reside in a rented house outside city limits.

Proserpina

Forget my comment about who the people are....it doesn't matter! What matters is there are too many per sq. ft. turning spacious country living into cramped living. I was curious if there are any laws about how many people can reside in a rented house outside city limits.

You were answered, actually - check local zoning laws and the like.

No, we're not going to dig 'em up for you, but I will say this. In a similar situation in Fargo (ND), and one not far from Philadelphia (the PA variety), places outside of city limits which aren't incorporated somehow are very often legal black holes. The city won't police 'em, the next city over wants no part of it, and this is why we sometimes end up with grouchy people in rocking chairs holding a shotgun as they watch over their cornfields, knowing that nobody can touch 'em for whatever type of moonshine they're creating in the back yard.

(True story actually)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It mattered to you. Which says a lot about you.

OK-LL

Most counties do have zoning or building codes which restrict the number of occupants per SF, per bedroom, and/or with limitation based on configuration of the dwelling. Call your local zoning board or county building office for assistance with those codes/rules. Those same offices can assist you with the rules for the number of dwellings allowed on the property and whether the necessary permits were obtained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">