• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wisconsin dog probation:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennK2009

I have always understood that if a dog bites once, it is forgiven. But, if the dog bites twice, it must be put down. Am I wrong? I’m the foster dog parent.

sandyclaus

I have always understood that if a dog bites once, it is forgiven. But, if the dog bites twice, it must be put down. Am I wrong? I’m the foster dog parent.
What makes you think they get a 2nd chance to bite? It would all depend on the circumstances, and it would ALSO depend on the specific ordinance for the city/township where the dog and its owner reside.

Gail in Georgia

The "one bite" rule assumes that the owner is unaware of a dogs tendency to be aggressive. If the dog snarls, then the owner is aware there is a tendency toward aggression:

http://www.the-injury-lawyer-directory.com/article_onebitefree.html

Gail

JennK2009

From Gail’s article; “In the state of Wisconsin… If the owner did know about the dog’s violent nature, then the owner will be liable for twice the amount of damages. When determining the amount of damages, any fault on the part of the injured person is considered by the court.”

Apparently, a neighbor kid was bit after he provoked the dog. No damages were sought, but the dog was quarantined for ten days. I’m guessing that qualifies for the owner knowing.

I’ll use this to convince them to quit letting the dog out, “at large.” Bad dog – bad owner, as far as I’m concerned.

Thank you both for your help.

Just Blue

From Gail’s article; “In the state of Wisconsin… If the owner did know about the dog’s violent nature, then the owner will be liable for twice the amount of damages. When determining the amount of damages, any fault on the part of the injured person is considered by the court.”

Apparently, a neighbor kid was bit after he provoked the dog. No damages were sought, but the dog was quarantined for ten days. I’m guessing that qualifies for the owner knowing.

I’ll use this to convince them to quit letting the dog out, “at large.” Bad dog – bad owner, as far as I’m concerned.

Thank you both for your help.
I’m the foster dog parent.
I'm a little confused. Was the dog under your care and control during the attacks or not?

JennK2009

I agree, Blue. I can’t, in good conscious, help get this dog adopted. I wish I had known.

The good new is I now have a new appreciation of children. Mom and Dad sure never said anything.

JennK2009

No, this happened last summer. I occasionally dog sit. Mom and Dad are getting divorced and for the time being the “kids get the house.” (Mom has the week days and Dad gets the weekends). Everything is dis-jointed. This dog is a constant for these kids have, but...

My brother and I fill in the gaps, if either parent is working. I offered to foster (to adoption) the dog, because it’s just what I do for neglected animals. The kids brought this up last night.

I have toted this mutt around, and kept her at my house while looking for a new home on occasion. I can’t do that anymore, if the dog has an aggressive record. Sorry for the confusion – I was trying to be concise.

My question has been more than answered. Thank you all.

Just Blue

No, this happened last summer. I occasionally dog sit. Mom and Dad are getting divorced and for the time being the “kids get the house.” (Mom has the week days and Dad gets the weekends). Everything is dis-jointed. This dog is a constant for these kids have, but...

My brother and I fill in the gaps, if either parent is working. I offered to foster (to adoption) the dog, because it’s just what I do for neglected animals. The kids brought this up last night.

I have toted this mutt around, and kept her at my house while looking for a new home on occasion. I can’t do that anymore, if the dog has an aggressive record. Sorry for the confusion – I was trying to be concise.

My question has been more than answered. Thank you all.
Put the dog down. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">