• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yet another Fence issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnsonk

What is the name of your state? CA

I bought a house in 2001 April and my neighbor bought theirs in 2000 Oct. We shared a fence line in between. It was there before we bought our houses, and didn't bother us that it wasn't straight. It was jagged and none of us hired suveyors at closing of the transactions.
Recently, my neighbor wants to remodel their house, and would like to extend the structure a little and figured that the fence is crooked and should be straight.
They hired a surveyor and the survey was done which shows that the fence is actually 2-3 feet off onto their property. The lenght is around 125'. That is I am encroaching their property.
Now, they would like me to tear down the fence and build a new one with proper landscaping on their side with me paying in full. I have browsed thru previous threads and learned that if the fence is mine, they have the rights to sue me and have it taken down and billed me the total cost.
Personally, I do not mind if they move the fence to the true property line. But I don't want to pay for something that I am not responsible for.
I would like to know
1. How do we determine the ownership of the fence.
2. Am I financially responsible for tearing the fence down and building a new one.
3. Should I hire my own surveyor to double check the result.
4. By when should I need to hire an attonery if things go south. (after receiving a certified letter that I need to take it down and move it or else?)

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give.

BelizeBreeze

johnsonk said:
I would like to know
1. How do we determine the ownership of the fence.
If their survey says it's on their land it's theirs.
2. Am I financially responsible for tearing the fence down and building a new one.
Under the current facts, no
3. Should I hire my own surveyor to double check the result.
That's up to you. Might be a good idea.
4. By when should I need to hire an attonery if things go south. (after receiving a certified letter that I need to take it down and move it or else?)
Or else what? If they threaten to sue you for cost recovery of taking down the fence let them. It's their fence. YOu can ask an attorney to answer their letter but that's about as far as I'd go right now. (PERSONALY)
Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give.
you're most welcome.

johnsonk

Thanks for the quick response, BelizeBreeze.
I guess I will just get my own suveyor just for the peace of mind that I don't give up without doing anything. Then I'll sit tight and let my neighbor make their move.
Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">