• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Zoning visit for vehicle work on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Accela

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

The situation between me and my neighbors goes deeper than id like to post. To keep it simple, they constantly call the cops, spy on us and watch our every move to try and catch us in violating an ordinance or zoning law. Such ordinances, like not being able to put your trash out 2 hours earlier of a set time, which resulted in the cops coming to our house and fining us. Believe me, the cops have been here numerous times and feel just as dumb as we do, for them to have to come out.
But today i got a little something extra. A zoning officer came by and was asking questions about the cars we have here. we have 3 cars in the driveway, which are all covered. He then snapped a picture, as i was coming around the house to meet him of my driveway. There is a puddle spot there were a hose had broken on my brothers car, and wasnt noticed because it was night, so it was seen the next day. This spot has stained the driveway, but it is not a puddle. Im not sure if this is legal either, since i did not tell him he could do so. Please clarify.
We then began to talk, he asked me about our cars. To keep it short, again, we have many cars, and many bodies in this house. All cars are our cars, and are being fixed by us, for us. NO sales.
So we had a short discussion i explained to him what we do, where we do it, which is usually in our garage. He kept pushing the issue of us "selling" cars, but i explained to him twice, and on the second time couldnt have been anymore clear to tell him we do NOT sell our vehicles.
He then asked me if we would send him a letter, stating what we do, and have it signed. Why, what, and should i do this? What is the purpose for this letter to him? I had asked and he told me so he could get an idea of what we were doing here and such. He then continued to say, so he could see if there is any violations.

My questions here are, why does he want this letter other than his above reason, and wouldnt the letter just harm me if anything? If i do not send him the letter, which might be a bad idea because then we arent cooperating, what happens then?

Are zoning officers anything like real officers or are they bound to some other rights such as no trespassing?

Thank you.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Before you give out any info I suggest you learn what your citys ordinances are for non running vehicles that are parked on private property. Once you have that information then you will be better prepared to answer.

Accela

But that is the thing. I already know what violation he speaks of, since he directly told me. He said no working in the driveways, which we dont. I think my questions are clear in the first post so i wont make this any longer. :D

FarmerJ

If you have not violated a city ordinance then dont do the letter and make him prove his claim in a court. If he is that ticket happy to write you up he should be able to bring into court enough proof to make his claim stick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">