• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amazon Snafu

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zanadu78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ARIZONA

I ordered a used textbook on Amazon from a third party seller for $98. I ordered a specific edition. The seller contacted me via email:

We would like to give you additional information about the book. This is International Edition not US Edition. Anyway, it has the same contents as Hard cover one, but it's much cheaper price than US Edition a lot. Also, it's legal to use International Edition in The US. Anyway, some of our customers are worried about the rights to use International Edition. Because We would like to meet customers' satisfaction as much as possible. Therefore, we email you to confirm if you still need to order this book? Could you please contact us ASAP no longer than 1 day (24 hours); otherwise, we have to run the process on behalf of amazon selling policy. We're waiting for your response.​

I researched and discovered that this International version of the book they were trying to substitute was a much older version that can be bought online for $11 used. I replied immediately to cancel my order and that I didn't want it. That was followed up with 2 more emails by me requesting cancellation, and I received no response.

I contacted Amazon to cancel the order because it had not been shipped yet. Amazon refuses to cancel third party transactions and instructed me to give the seller 3 days to reply. In the meantime, I bought the textbook I wanted from another seller.

A week has passed and now I see that the seller shipped the item today and ignored my 3 requests for cancellation. I was billed, but after some wrangling, Amazon has issued me a credit.

IF it shows up, do I have to return it? I don't want to hassle with driving to the post office and waiting in line, and I'm certainly not going to pay for return shipping. Can I just throw it away? Because it was cancelled, does this fall under the unsolicited merchandise guidelines?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

st-kitts

Three magical words that you can write on the unopened package and put it right back in your mailbox, no trip to the PO required. Those words are:

RETURN TO SENDER

zanadu78

Three magical words that you can write on the unopened package and put it right back in your mailbox, no trip to the PO required. Those words are:

RETURN TO SENDER
The package was shipped DHL and I'm not home to refuse the shipment.

zanadu78

You can call DHL, tell them you are refusing the shipment. They will give you instructions how to return the package.
Yes, I actually tried that. However, he didn't give me a tracking number and I don't know the ZIP code he is shipping from. Without that there is no way for DHL to locate the package.

zanadu78

Really???? Please back that claim up.

Link and quote to Amazon policy, would be quite helpful.
Yes, I would be interested in this too. Amazon told me I would have to ship it back. However, they have already issued my credit for the book, so at this point I don't know.

CSO286

Yes, I would be interested in this too. Amazon told me I would have to ship it back. However, they have already issued my credit for the book, so at this point I don't know.
I would also expect the seller or amazon to foot the bill for return shipping.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, I actually tried that. However, he didn't give me a tracking number and I don't know the ZIP code he is shipping from. Without that there is no way for DHL to locate the package.
When the package arrives, don't open it. Call DHL and tell them that you are refusing it. They will give further instructions.

pattimelt

I'm not a senior poster, but when the package DOES arrive, what I would do is make sure I wrote down the sellers address info and the tracking number for my own records...

pattimelt

I agree! :)

This does, of course, imply a retraction of my earlier post, and I apologize for my rash, all-inclusive statement.
Oh no.. don't retract it.. I've seen a LOT of wrong info from the newbies.. I just figured I would throw my suggestion in the mix, since this way, he can track the package himself and make sure the original seller gets the package back and can't say that they did not recieve it..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">