• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AOL - America Online Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ch3rry

I am in Pennsylvania.

AOL has been harassing me terribly. Every day for the past few months.

First it was a collection agency for AOL. I ended up paying them over $70.00 because they told me i had no choice but to pay it or it would be put on my credit report even tho i was denying the bill was mine.

I told them i had not had an AOL account for quite some time, I told them that the account in question had been cancelled by phone just as AOL makes everyone do to cancel, You cannot cancel an AOL account online, You MUST call.

I had very odd feelings about this and i said to the woman, Can you guarantee me that this wont happen again and again, She said if i paid it that there would be no way it could happen again. I said to her, i cant imagine how you can guarantee that when it is happening right now

But since she said this would not go away and it was stressing me i went ahead and paid it OFF, thinking i would be free of this stress of every day calling

I gave in and paid it against my feelings that i should not. I am not employed right now and i must watch what i spend.

Not a month later the calls start AGAIN!

This time the woman says she is from AOL, where the last time they said they were a collection service for AOL

This woman is very foreign and she don't seem to understand anything i say to her

I tell her i just paid AOL over $70.00 a month ago for an account i had cancelled after the free trial and that there was no way i was going to pay them another dime as i didn't even have an AOL account. I asked her to please remove me form her calling list, she agreed!

Next day The call comes AGAIN, a machine telling me to call AOL and that its urgent

I call the number and am put on hold instantly, few minutes later the same woman i spoke to the day before comes on saying the very same things as she had yesterday!

I tell her, i recognize her voice from yesterday and why didn't she remove my name form her list

She tells me i owe AOL money and i must go online and update my account info

I tell her i have no account to do this and i haven't had AOL in quite some time and that i recently paid $70.00 and to please remove me from her list!

This has now been going on again for nearly a month and I'm about to have a heart attack or stroke over this

Not a very nice way to start the day every day and many times through out the day the same machine calling again and again and they will not listen to me

I tried calling my phone company to see what i can do and they are no help, they told me to press *57 after they call and that would record that they called me but its $1.00 every time i do this and what good is it cuz they cant do anything but record that the call in fact came in

Help please! :confused: :mad: :(

Last edited:

dallas702

If you have paid your legitimate debt with AOL, and have proof of the payment, get all the info you can when the "collection agency" calls. Chances are really high that it's either a scam or one of those money making opportunities where some idiot buys lists of debt accounts and thinks he will be able to collect on them.

Then....contact AOL's customer service people directly and tell them you are filing a complaint with your state's AG and the federal authorities.....and if the "collector" calls back tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">