• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned from an independent, premium online gaming community.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PIGGBUKKITT

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Community has servers in both UK and US. The community founder and owner lives in Europe.

Basically, I joined an on-line gaming community about 2 years ago. It's completely independent and does not fall under any larger corporation or other body.

The community used to be donation based, however, the owner was found to be soliciting donations by means of offering incentive. (50.000 Euro fine)
(In game perks and the like)

Since I was a donor to the community previously I was awarded premium membership when the owner was forced to change to the premium system.

I got into quite a heated debate with administrators and the owner himself about the fact they were still using the term donor for the now premium members,
in fact, they went so far as to call the first 'level' of premium membership 'Donor'.

I was concerned that the ambiguousness of this would cause problems. Staff are told to rattle off the same lines, they say: Donors get no privileges over non paying members.

This in it's self seems wrong at the very core. If the community has a premium membership, surely you get something for that?

Anyway, this is just what ended up getting me banned from the community. Simply questioning the system set in place.

I came here seeking advice as to how I can proceed with this.
Obviously I'm a paying premium member, I was wrongfully banned from the community for bringing up something those in charge didn't want brought up.

I would like to know where I stand legally on such an issue. I've tried looking on-line for answers, I'm usually fairly adept at finding my own solution but this is a fairly niche problem.

Does anyone know if I have any rights here? Even some laws I could quote to let them know they can't treat their members so badly?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Community has servers in both UK and US. The community founder and owner lives in Europe.

Basically, I joined an on-line gaming community about 2 years ago. It's completely independent and does not fall under any larger corporation or other body.

The community used to be donation based, however, the owner was found to be soliciting donations by means of offering incentive. (50.000 Euro fine)
(In game perks and the like)

Since I was a donor to the community previously I was awarded premium membership when the owner was forced to change to the premium system.

I got into quite a heated debate with administrators and the owner himself about the fact they were still using the term donor for the now premium members,
in fact, they went so far as to call the first 'level' of premium membership 'Donor'.

I was concerned that the ambiguousness of this would cause problems. Staff are told to rattle off the same lines, they say: Donors get no privileges over non paying members.

This in it's self seems wrong at the very core. If the community has a premium membership, surely you get something for that?

Anyway, this is just what ended up getting me banned from the community. Simply questioning the system set in place.

I came here seeking advice as to how I can proceed with this.
Obviously I'm a paying premium member, I was wrongfully banned from the community for bringing up something those in charge didn't want brought up.

I would like to know where I stand legally on such an issue. I've tried looking on-line for answers, I'm usually fairly adept at finding my own solution but this is a fairly niche problem.

Does anyone know if I have any rights here? Even some laws I could quote to let them know they can't treat their members so badly?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sorry, this forum is for US law only. Here is the US, you would have no case. You have to inherent right to play on that server.

ETA: The reason you can't find an answer in your online searches is because you're only looking for the answers you want to hear.

P

PIGGBUKKITT

Wow, sorry I asked for help I guess.

I wasn't looking for the answer I *wanted* I was looking for anything similar that may have happened before so I could determine if there was even any point in pursuit.

More than anything, I was just curious what systems were set in place legally or otherwise to protect consumers from such actions.

I figured there would be nothing but I thought I may as well try. I also considered that because the server I played on was based in the US that maybe US law would apply.

It seems 'FreeAdvice' is worth exactly what I paid for it ;)

Thanks for all the help, have an excellent day Yanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">