• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued over selling an engine over craigslist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TylerC61

Virginia

I sold a used engine on craigslist with the statement
"Ran when pulled 86,000 miles, send me an offer"

I had just recently purchased the engine from a guy up in chesapeake about a week earlier and I decided it wasn't worth the effort to drop it into my car and instead decided to resell it. He had on the listing "Ran when pulled" and when I texted him "does it run? Any issues?" He sent back "YES IT RUNS" so i bought it.

Now to the reselling, I met the guy at my house, because I had no idea the engine had any kind of problem with it, he brought his mechanic, and he checked it to see if it had pressure blah blah and the mechanic said "It seems fine". He asked where I got it and I said "it was pulled about two weeks ago from another civic". so the guy buys it, and two days later he calls me and asks for his money back because the engine had a knock, I told him I'd give him a partial refund but not all of it because I had no idea that it had a knock. He then says "No, i want all of it back, or I'm going to bring all my mechanic buddies over to your house and take it back" And I said "haha ok, thats a threat" and then I hung up, he then texts me and says "give me my money back or I'll take you to court" and I replied back "Don't text me again or I'll consider this harassment, if you have a problem take it up with (gave him the number of the guy I bought it from) I got it from him."

A couple days later I get a court summons, saying I sold him an engine that I said was "Good and ran fine" (Which I had never said) and he called me an infant (I was 17, turned 18 four days after I sold it.) He then proceeds to send two more, shows up at my house while we were on vacation and puts two more in my door, then he shows up while I was at class and threatens my parents.

The question is, does he have a case for suing me since I simply said it "ran" and that I didn't tell him I got it from another guy when I sold it to him.

(edit) Also, I believe all items on craigslist are sold as is, without stating so, is that true? Because I didn't offer him a warranty or anything and I forgot to put sold as is in the listing.

If you could put any relevant sources or anything that would help out please do.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">