• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought Car Fake Tags Craigslist from Curbstoner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomustard

Fake Tags Car bought on Craigslist Curbstoner

Kelly ...No Reseller License
Drives Teal Mercedes
Called about Listing on Craigslist for 98 Volvo V70 with "reg threw 2015" "clean title" on April 10.
V

Drove from my home in Santa Rosa to Vallejo on April 11 se vehicle from Kelly at Vallejo, CA. Pink slip showed two names. Kelly said she was selling car for her father and her father was out of state and he had done a smog test a couple months ago and car passed. He was coming back in a few days and would bring the smog certificate. Apollo.... name was on Title. Dan ...Aptos, CA was actually the last known owner and was on bill of sale. Car was advertised as being “reg threw 2015...clean title...pink slip.
We turned in our old car to Pick n Pull where our mother-in-law met us and gave us a ride to Kelly's. We paid Kelly the $1500 and drove car home. Went to CHP to check out registration and was told that the reg expired May 2013. The 2015 sticker was fake. It is a felony to drive a car with fake tags and car could be impounded.
Also, The coolant has been leaking and have found out the radiator has a hole in it.
I have been trying to contact the seller since these discoveries. Unfortunately, we keep getting the message that the voice mail has not been set up yet. So I have been leaving numerous text messages. She never responds.
My brother is on SSI disability with a serious illness. We have no car here now. The $1500 was all the money we had to buy a car with. We are victims of fraud. I called Vallejo law enforcement and was told this is a civil....not criminal matter.
I few days later, a friend drove us to Vallejo to see Kelly about car. She wasn’t at her duplex so we talked to her neighbor, James, who was there at the time of the sell and shares duplex with her. He said Kelly often sells used cars. He believes her last name is Williams. He also said she has a reseller’s license. We explained what happened and he hoped we could get our money back. Then Kelly pulled up to her driveway. We told her that we have been trying to call her. She said she lost her phone. We told her the car had false tags and had not been smogged or registered like she said and we wanted our money back. She said she had no money. I said we would go to police and take her to court. She said do what you have to do.
Next we will make a complaint with DMV and hopefully be able to verify her name with her License plate no. and address. It appears she is a curbstoner...private party who illegally flips cars. The DMV have been cracking down on curbstoners recently and hopefully will work with us to stop her.

jomustard

Thanks looks dismal

Do I have a leg to stand on? How will DMV handle it? Have an appointment next week at DMV investigations.

jomustard

I know

It is too easy for these curbstoners to get away with it. There is no buyer protection on Craigslist. It is not ebay.

Ladyback1

It is too easy for these curbstoners to get away with it. There is no buyer protection on Craigslist. It is not ebay.
Hun! We've bought and sold off of Craigslist AND Ebay. And yes, we have gotten at least one vehicle off of Craigslist. We did our homework, and didn't just take the person selling at their word. So, if people wouldn't be so gullible, believing and trusting--then it would not be so easy for these curbstoners to get away with anything

jomustard

I know

I know I should have done my homework...I've had other very good transactions on Craigslist in the past and I know better.
I am not the first and will not be the last victim of a curbstoner. What I want to know is what we can do to stop them?
Police say it is a civil matter..won't get involved. I'll be going to DMV...I wonder what they can do about it. I have read online the DMV has had undercover buyers bust some of these parasites trying to make a quick buck at someone elses expense.

jomustard

DMV and Curbstoners

I intend on suing the seller. I have been reading online how DMV is cracking down on Curbstoners. DMV is losing money on these criminals. They prey on the disadvantaged. The police do nothing ...very frustrating. I would hope to get some kind of help from DMV. But don't really expect to. Maybe I will just drive around with the car the way it is and hope for the best. Screw getting it legal.

Stop buying cars from them.

So sue the seller.

Nothing. In fact, I imagine your visit to the DMV will be one of the most frustrating events you've ever experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">