• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer claims I never sent product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabbez

In Virginia -- I sold an item (Modern Warfare: Ghosts) on amazon, got a tracking number from the post office, mailed it off, submitted the confirmation of the tracking info and that was supposed to be the end of it. Well, a couple weeks go by and the buyer emails me saying they never received the package. I look up the tracking info and it shows when it was delivered! The buyer is complaining and making a fuss - am I actually liable for them allegedly not receiving the package? What more can I do? They're calling me a thief, tossing insults and declaring they'll shut down my "business" (don't have an online store, just sell a few items every now and again online). It's ridiculous but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a tad concerned that these threats could somehow turn into me getting in trouble, although I'm not sure how.

sandyclaus

In Virginia -- I sold an item (Modern Warfare: Ghosts) on amazon, got a tracking number from the post office, mailed it off, submitted the confirmation of the tracking info and that was supposed to be the end of it. Well, a couple weeks go by and the buyer emails me saying they never received the package. I look up the tracking info and it shows when it was delivered! The buyer is complaining and making a fuss - am I actually liable for them allegedly not receiving the package? What more can I do? They're calling me a thief, tossing insults and declaring they'll shut down my "business" (don't have an online store, just sell a few items every now and again online). It's ridiculous but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a tad concerned that these threats could somehow turn into me getting in trouble, although I'm not sure how.
Was the item valued at over $50? Did you purchase additional insurance, either at your request or that of the purchaser?

If, as the purchaser is claiming, they never received the package, despite the post office's claim that it was delivered, then an insurance claim is in order. If they pay out on the claim, then you refund the money (up to the insured amount) to the purchaser. If they don't, then you can use the unsubstantiated insurance claim as proof of delivery.

TigerD

My experience is generally the louder someone yells and threatens, the less they are actually prepared to do.
If insurance was offered to the buyer and they didn't select it, tell them they are SOL.
If insurance wasn't offered and you didn't buy it, you can argue with them or just refund the purchase as part of the cost of doing business. Or not.

DC

Jabbez

Yes, the item was valued over $50 ($55). No, I didn't purchase insurance. So I'm supposed to get an insurance claim to pacify the situation? Never considered that. Legally though, I have held up my end, right? It's just frustrating because the USPS tracking (which the buyer can view as the package goes through its stages) is supposed to be the guarantee to the customer that I went through with my obligation.

davew128

Yes, the item was valued over $50 ($55). No, I didn't purchase insurance. So I'm supposed to get an insurance claim to pacify the situation? Never considered that. Legally though, I have held up my end, right? It's just frustrating because the USPS tracking (which the buyer can view as the package goes through its stages) is supposed to be the guarantee to the customer that I went through with my obligation.
I bought something on Ebay maybe a year ago. The seller used USPS and had tracking. Item was clearly shipped and then....disappeared. Never arrived to me, and nothing showed on tracking ever after that point, as if it were stuck at a facility. Seller was kind enough to refund my money and that was that.

Jabbez

I bought something on Ebay maybe a year ago. The seller used USPS and had tracking. Item was clearly shipped and then....disappeared. Never arrived to me, and nothing showed on tracking ever after that point, as if it were stuck at a facility. Seller was kind enough to refund my money and that was that.
I get that viewpoint - however, from my perspective, seeing as how I know I shipped it off it's just frustrating. Also keep in mind the name-calling, which is wholly uncalled for. Also - when the seller shipped it out, did you check the tracking? (just curious)

davew128

I get that viewpoint - however, from my perspective, seeing as how I know I shipped it off it's just frustrating. Also keep in mind the name-calling, which is wholly uncalled for. Also - when the seller shipped it out, did you check the tracking? (just curious)
I told you that. I had tracking which showed item pickup and transport to a sorting facility. It just never updated after that. We waited a couple weeks and then mutually decided to cancel it and he refunded my money. He's out the item, but just as it was obvious to me that he was legit, it was obvious to him I wasn't claiming non-delivery to scam him.

Proserpina

Out of interest, who actually signed for it?

twoinone

same thing happened to me as well, the package was tracked, and then disappeared off the radar, it was a Play Station3, i don't get how something that is not small can just disappear like smoke, luckily the buyer was nice enough to return the money. but one thing that did make me angry i bought an ipad from a guy who now is not to be found on ebay anymore, apparently was registered to a false address too. how i don't know, i got the package but the display was broken and when i contacted him he said it's not my problem talk to the company that delivered it, now i can just guarantee that he sent it broken :mad:

Kruniac

I can only give advice as someone who used to run eBay scams. I have no experience with disputes on Amazon.

You have delivery confirmation, but no signature for the package? Is this the case? If the package made it to the shipping address of the consumer and it was signed for, then you should be fine.

Actually, the more I think about it, you should be fine either way. I'm sure amazon has a dispute process for this type of situation. If the buyer is not using that process, then they are automatically a little suspicious. You have a tracking number, you have delivery confirmation, and if the buyer files a dispute of some kind, I'm sure you'll be asked to provide this information by Amazon. I wouldn't get my blood pressure up about this.

quincy

I can only give advice as someone who used to run eBay scams. ...
Jabbez, I would be very wary of taking advice from anyone who has admitted to being a scammer.

Scammers tend to be untrustworthy because they like to, um, scam people.

A quick review of Kruniac's posting history (which does not include all of the posts by him that have been reported for their content and subsequently deleted) indicates he is not only a scammer but a bit of a fool.

quincy

... Your opinions about my ethics or my background mean nothing to me. ...
Perhaps not. But, because you made your ethics and background an issue in this thread, your ethics and your background are something to be considered.

I will repeat my advice: One needs to be wary when taking advice from someone who admits he is a scammer, lest they be scammed themselves. Scammers should not be trusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">