• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer from Craigslist Wants to Sue Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craigslister

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I sold a washing machine on Craigslist. The washer needed a new gasket but was otherwise working when I sold it. Two men picked up the washer after I plugged it in and they saw the control panel light up. They paid $50 and were off. Since then, I have received two emails from the woman who initially contacted me about the washer. I'm assuming the man who tested it was her dad. She claims the washer needed over $500 in repairs which I find unbelievable! The washer was at least 8 years old. Anyway, she claims I misrepresented myself and sold her a broken washer. She claims to be a lawyer and says she can sue me for the $50 and the repairs and also sue me for a new machine. Does she have a right to sue me? Should I respond to her last email? We have never even spoken to one another!
Help!

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I sold a washing machine on Craigslist. The washer needed a new gasket but was otherwise working when I sold it. Two men picked up the washer after I plugged it in and they saw the control panel light up. They paid $50 and were off. Since then, I have received two emails from the woman who initially contacted me about the washer. I'm assuming the man who tested it was her dad. She claims the washer needed over $500 in repairs which I find unbelievable! The washer was at least 8 years old. Anyway, she claims I misrepresented myself and sold her a broken washer. She claims to be a lawyer and says she can sue me for the $50 and the repairs and also sue me for a new machine. Does she have a right to sue me? Should I respond to her last email? We have never even spoken to one another!
Help!
Did you represent the washer as being in good working order? Did it actually WORK before you sold it?

IMHO, they got themselves a bargain. If they decided that the washer was good to go after only having seen the control panel light up, and made no further inquiries, then they bought this obviously used washer "AS IS". If they wanted to make sure it worked, they could have simply asked you to start it up for them.

In any instance, an 8-year-old washer has no guarantees as to when it will stop working. And $500 in repairs is outrageous for an 8-year-old washer that may have cost about that when it was new.

Ignore them. They have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">