• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer Insists on Paying for Cancelled Listing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently put up some sports memorabilia for sale on Ebay, one of the items being a rare piece. The item sold for over $10k from a bidder on the east coast. Upon the listing ending I sent the invoice out to the winner yet didn't hear back for 4 days. I decided to take my item to have it professionally packaged meanwhile a payment was received. After dropping it off I got a call back from the center stating that the item was accidently dropped and was damaged. I immediately contacted the eBay buyer and explained the situation. I also sent a cancellation for the auction through eBay, which they denied. They never paid for the item, so no money was ever transferred.

Its been a couple of weeks since then and the buyer is still sending me messages asking for me to send them an invoice to pay for the item, although I've been more than clear that the item is no longer in my possession as I am working out a claim with the shipping center. I can understand why they are upset, as it was a one of a kind piece. I've been selling on eBay for more than a decade and have never had to deal with something like this.

Is there anything they can do legally against me? Can they sue?

Thanks!

jiggy78

Of course they could sue. The question is would they win.

Did you send the seller a picture of the broken item?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">