• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - Craigslist Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motolove227

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently got a very good deal on a motorcycle off of a friend who was moving out of state. It is a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 (street bike) that was originally purchased in CA, then transferred to Maryland and registered there (not sure if CA plates were turned in while in CA or not). When my friend moved back to CA, the MD plates were turned in, but the bike was never re-registered. This bike was sitting for 4 years and needed some work, so I bought it for $700, which is well under market value.

When I picked up the bike, I took it to my friend's shop who does all of the work on my dirt bikes so he could check it out and get it fixed up while I was on vacation. I told him not to look at it or do any work until I gave him the "OK" to do so. While on vacation, I decided that I didn't want to fix it up so I posted it on Craigslist. I listed it as "not running" and that I didn't know what was wrong with it for $2500. A guy offered me $2000, so I said ok. I told him that I never switched the Maryland title into my name and he said that was fine as long as all the signed boxes were filled out.

He had a friend come and pick it up and his friend inspected it, gave me the money, and we helped him load it. Now, 3 weeks later, he is saying he is going to sue me because it needs $1000 in parts to be fixed. He wants a $500 refund and I told him that there are no refunds on Craigslist and that he should have inspected the bike himself if he was worried. He is now threatening to sue me and the mechanic, even though the mechanic had nothing to do with it since he did not look at it at all except the outside cosmetics. Does he have a case? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">