• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Called off purchase with craigslist seller, not giving money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hb1992

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in los angeles, ca. recently me and my father met up with a seller who was selling a car we were interested in. long story short about negotiations, car had a pretty big dent on the side and other things it needed fixed. originally wanted to sell it to us for $3900 but we settled on $3700 which included getting the cars dent fixed and all other minor details. we gave him $200 of the $3700, as a deposit, to send the car to get fixed. this was on a saturday that the deal was made, he said it would be done on tuesday. tuesday came and it was not ready so he said friday it would be ready. friday came and he said it was still not ready and that it would be ready the following monday and at this point we called him and told him the deal was off and we wanted our money back. that same friday that we called him he said to come pick up the money. we drove to his house only to have him tell us that he was not home and to come the following morning. i fear that he might try to flee either the city or state in general (which i doubt its 200 dollars that he owes us) in order to avoid giving us our $200 dollars back. if he keeps putting off returning our money, can i sue him? can i file some kind of police report? i have his home address and phone number. any advice is highly appreciated.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in los angeles, ca. recently me and my father met up with a seller who was selling a car we were interested in. long story short about negotiations, car had a pretty big dent on the side and other things it needed fixed. originally wanted to sell it to us for $3900 but we settled on $3700 which included getting the cars dent fixed and all other minor details. we gave him $200 of the $3700, as a deposit, to send the car to get fixed. this was on a saturday that the deal was made, he said it would be done on tuesday. tuesday came and it was not ready so he said friday it would be ready. friday came and he said it was still not ready and that it would be ready the following monday and at this point we called him and told him the deal was off and we wanted our money back. that same friday that we called him he said to come pick up the money. we drove to his house only to have him tell us that he was not home and to come the following morning. i fear that he might try to flee either the city or state in general (which i doubt its 200 dollars that he owes us) in order to avoid giving us our $200 dollars back. if he keeps putting off returning our money, can i sue him? can i file some kind of police report? i have his home address and phone number. any advice is highly appreciated.
**A: of course you can sue him. But would it be worth the $200?

swalsh411

He might in turn sue you for not completing the sale, if he can show the car was ready in a reasonable amount of time.

What is the basis of your belief that the deposit was refundable?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">