• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an amazon seller bribe me for reviews?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smm23

I bought the product based on high ratings and it isn't that great. It came with a note telling me I'll get another kitchen utensil for .99 if I give 5 star rating. Is that legal?

Proserpina

I bought the product based on high ratings and it isn't that great. It came with a note telling me I'll get another kitchen utensil for .99 if I give 5 star rating. Is that legal?
This is what Amazon says.

Misuse of ratings, feedback, or reviews: Any attempt to manipulate ratings, feedback, or reviews is prohibited.

Reviews: Reviews are important to the Amazon Marketplace, providing a forum for feedback about product and service details and reviewers' experiences with products and services — positive or negative. You may not write reviews for products or services that you have a financial interest in, including reviews for products or services that you or your competitors sell. Additionally, you may not provide compensation for a review other than a free copy of the product. If you offer a free product, it must be clear that you are soliciting an unbiased review. The free product must be provided in advance. No refunds are permitted after the review is written. You may not intentionally manipulate your products' rankings, including by offering an excessive number of free or discounted products, in exchange for a review. Review solicitations that ask for only positive reviews or that offer compensation are prohibited. You may not ask buyers to remove negative reviews.
And if you're up for reading further, here's what the FTA says:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking

If I were you, I'd simply leave an honest review and there is noting illegal with you quoting what the company is actually offering you - just tell the truth if that's what you want to do.

CdwJava

Legal? Sure.

Ethical? No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">