• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue CashFoLaptops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ElliTomas

I'm in California
I sold my laptop on CashForLaptops.com I was told I would be given $220 for it then they send me a check of $20. I tried contacting them they only told me to call a number but that number doesn't work and I still haven't gotten a response. I look around to see if others had problems with it and they have. Is there anything I can do against them?

single317dad

I'm in California
I sold my laptop on CashForLaptops.com I was told I would be given $220 for it then they send me a check of $20. I tried contacting them they only told me to call a number but that number doesn't work and I still haven't gotten a response. I look around to see if others had problems with it and they have. Is there anything I can do against them?
How was the agreement for $220 reached? Was that the pre-quote generated from the user-provided information before you sent the item?

What was their reasoning for the reduced value?

At any point, did you agree to a $20 payment for your item? (or did you fail to respond to the notification that your item was worth $20 and 'here are your options')

As an aside, I buy laptops and cell phones (not in your state; all my transactions are in person) and the number of people who will misrepresent the condition of their items is staggering. I'll tell people straight up "If your Macbook is in perfect as-new condition, I'll pay about $500. If it's scratched, missing parts, not working, bad battery, the price goes down." "Oh, sure, it's perfect. Not a scratch on it." Yeah, except for the two cracks in the case, scratches on the screen, battery that won't charge, and stickers all over the lid. I offer them $150 and they flip out: "You promised me $500! You're a scammer!"

Not saying this is what happened in your case, but people like me (pawn shops included) are constantly accused of low-balling people on prices. What they don't realize is that their piece of junk isn't in nearly the condition they think it is, and their item isn't worth book value. You won't get Kelley Blue Book out of a wrecked car, either.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The way the site works is that you put in very basic information and then they generate a "qualified quote" that is contingent on their inspection of the item. If you decide to ship the item in, they will evaluate it and then generate a firm quote (if different than the "qualified quote"). You can then either reject or accept the new quote. It's all here:

http://www.cashforlaptops.com/terms

single317dad

The way the site works is that you put in very basic information and then they generate a "qualified quote" that is contingent on their inspection of the item. If you decide to ship the item in, they will evaluate it and then generate a firm quote (if different than the "qualified quote"). You can then either reject or accept the new quote. It's all here:

http://www.cashforlaptops.com/terms
As do most of these sites; eBay even manages (loosely) a similar program for sellers to buy obsolete phones and resell/refurbish them. Most of these sites have terrible reviews online. While some of those are probably deserved, a lot of the problem is that most people don't properly care for their electronics and are disappointed when that costs them money.

I used to be in the market of buying, selling, and trading (mostly vintage collectible) music. Records, reel tapes, CDs, posters, a little audio equipment. This problem was even more prevalent in that market. If I bought/traded for some CDs via mail, there was a 75% chance they'd be scratched to the point of affecting the playback. "Mint" posters very often had thumbtack holes in the corners. These are the reasons you can hardly sell a collectible coin or sports card online unless it's professionally graded.

Dave1952

I've not read your contract and have no opinion on the integrity of this company however, if you believe that you have been cheated, your Attorney General has a consumer complaints "button" on her web-site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">