• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot sign up for Amazon Student Prime - They claimed I already used it??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

khuongn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello, I have had this issue with signing up for Amazon Student Prime for the past months. Yes, the service I have gotten is so bad that it still has gone nowhere.

I will copy-n-paste one of the email where I describe my situation below:

"So it started with me receiving my first ever .edu email address at my university. As a freshman, I was waiting for when I receive the email so that I can sign up for Student Prime and get the discount for my time at the university (note that I never have any kind of Prime benefit before, even on my only Amazon account).

At the signed up page, I filled in all the blanks but can't proceed due to something along the line of "this email address is already used, please contact customer support". I just received this brand new email and now they said somehow I've used it? I sent in an email to the Student Prime Amazon department (the same email address that you send your enrollment proofs to) and a few days later, I received a reply saying that upon checking, my .edu email address is already used on another Amazon account and so I can't reuse the Student benefit (similar to the email I attached below). This is my first and only .edu email address, so how is this happening? I don't even have this .edu email until very recently when my university assign us new freshmen their own .edu emails, so how on earth did I already use my Student benefit?*I sent in many more replies saying I might have my Student Prime benefit stolen, and lo and behold I get replies that are all the same. Seems like they only know how to send automated reply emails.

My thoughts at the moment was, "Alright, if my .edu email address is stolen, fine, I still have my proof of enrollment at my university. That is more reliable and official than having just an .edu email address." And so I sent the email with my proof attached to the same department since they only have one email. Guess what, they replied to that with the same automated reply email they have sent to me before, the same "Upon checking your account I see that the .edu email address has already been used on another Amazon account for Student Prime benefit..." or something like that. What?! I had sent in a different email, separated from the last issue, and they still replied to me with this? Did they even read the email or look at the proof?

I called Customer Support many times, and 80% of them said that my .edu email address isn't associate with any Prime benefit nor is my Amazon account. I think maybe they got my .edu email address wrong since I have to read to them with my terrible accent, but it's fine, not the real problem. The real problem however is all of these representatives said they have to transfer the issue to the Student Prime Amazon department, which is the same people I dealt with the issue before calling. Not surprisingly this time, I got automated email replies again with the same "your .edu email is used on another Amazon account". How great.

A few days ago I called in again and explained what I've gone through these past days. A different lady said that she would transfer the issue through a form to a higher-escalated department and someone there would email me back. I was glad I can finally get a human reply this time now, and while I did a few hours later, the guy who replied basically said the same thing, that my .edu email address is used in another Amazon account and even assume that maybe that "other" Amazon account is my personal one. He ended the email saying if I need anything I can contact the Student Prime Amazon department through email. Back to square one.

On my university's side, my support ticket to their IT department was unsuccessful as they said that 1) they have a very strict policy on changing an assigned .edu address, not just to whatever one would like and 2) it is not their problem. The sent me an email saying that I should contact Amazon Customer Support because it is their problem.

Of course with how unsuccessful my attempts at reaching these Amazon representatives had been, this situation have become totally helpless.*

I decided that I will contacted them for the last time through chat. The lady also answered most of the questions I have with the same answers, "I cannot look further into this issue." She offered to transfer me to a department that can help me out, and I instantly got a call. The guy who called asked me a lot of questions about my home address, my credit card (last number though),*family members' names and assume that my dad go to a college and probably use Student Prime already that's why I couldn't sign up again. Another baseless*assumption made by the Amazon support people. He then started to stubbornly ask me again and again*for any other emails or Amazon accounts I have, which I replied no since I don't have any other alternative emails or Amazon accounts. After asking me to hold he too said that he can't look further into this problem."

Now back to the current date - I had finally got in touch with the Executives Customer Relations people and though they will help me moving this issue forward. But nope, all they did is make me wait 20 days, then responded when I finally sent a follow-up email yesterday (they did send me $ compensation to my account which is acceptable I guess). But just today they replied and said the exact same thing I got hundreds of time before: Student Prime department has look into it, and they're sorry that they can't do anything else further...

So I want to ask what is the actions I can take here? I don't like to involve court and legal papers for something this level, but it still annoying that somehow someone already used the Student benefits I deserve. What should I do from this point onward considering that Amazon has been very little help...

Thank you.

adjusterjack

I don't know what to tell you.

You get a 6 months free trial and then a $50 a year discount.

If you are in college for 4 years, it's worth about $250.

A little silly to think about litigating for that amount, don't you think?

I realize that Prime at half price is a nice deal. I'd like to have it that way myself.

I guess that one thing they don't teach you in college is that life can be full of disappointments that you can't do anything about. Get used to it. :D

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

... So I want to ask what is the actions I can take here? I don't like to involve court and legal papers for something this level, but it still annoying that somehow someone already used the Student benefits I deserve ...
The Terms and Conditions of Amazon Student Prime state, "... we may accept or refuse membership in our sole discretion."

You have no legal action to pursue if Amazon denies you membership, this even if you otherwise meet all requirements. Membership is not a right.

(*some exceptions may exist)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">