• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car purchased but not picked up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Astrolink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I sold a car at Ebay in late April. It's an old car that was sold for parts without a title for $3150, with a $500 deposit to be made immediately, which the buyer paid with the balance to paid upon pickup. Everything was disclosed in the auction about the car.

The new owner lives about 600 miles away. I have repeatedly contacted him by both phone and email to pick the car up. He had made several promises, but not followed through. He says he has been too busy to pick it up.

I have a couple problems. In the city I live, you can't have unregistered cars in your driveway or where they can be seen. Since this car has no title and hasn't been registered for a couple decades, it of course, does not have current plates. The police are within their rights to ticket the car (they give you 7 days to "plate" it), then tow it away if you don't comply. In order to pick it up, I would have show proof of ownership (a title) and current plates to get it out which would be impossible, thus, if this car gets towed, it's gone forever.

What I want to do is "encourage" the buyer to come pick it up. Can I send him a notice that as of a certain date (perhaps a couple weeks in the future), I'm going to charge daily storage fees, say $10 or $15 a day like towing companies do? If I could do that, can I keep the car after there is $500 accrued in storage fees, then resell it?

I don't really want to charge him anything if I can help it; I just need to do something to compel him to pick it up. My neighbor has already complained to me a couple times about this ratty looking car....I'm afraid he's going to call on it, and I wouldn't blame him.

swalsh411

Refund the money and re-list the car on Craigslist. I believe you can file something with ebay to get at least some of their fees refunded.

Sell it to somebody local this time.

Or don't refund the money and see if you get sued.

Astrolink

Ebay only gives you 45 days to cancel a transaction, so it's too late to get the selling fee back, which was $150.

Beyond that, even if I refund him the $500, can he come after me for not completing the transaction with him? The car is just a shell, but a $40,000 car restored. The buyer owns a shop that restores old muscle cars, so I would think that is his intent.

Beyond that I don't want to list the car locally at Craigslist. The car is worth $3150 at Ebay, but worth far less in my local, economically depressed area. I listed this car local first and the best offer was $900.

Last edited:

single317dad

Just relist it on ebay. Stop calling him. If he comes looking for his money, give it to him minus the $150 fee (and all other expenses, including Paypal fees) you incurred due to his negligence. From here on out, give buyers 7 days to pay up or relist the item. Deadbeats never come through, no matter how long you wait. He's probably got buyer's remorse because he overpaid for the car. The next winning bid probably won't be as high. If you can't get him to pay for the car, what makes you think you'll get him to pay a storage fee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">