• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Card Companies Pushing Back, Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

I recently had my first bout with credit card fraud a few weeks back (as some of you may already know). While I've always been the cautious type, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. However, now that I've let me guard down once, I intended to never do it again. So I'm working to make things more secure so I can be more vigilante in the future. I've gotten new card numbers (canceled the old ones) and been calling every financial institution I am a member of to try and set up some future alerts. However, I'm hitting a wall. I'm getting some push-back that's causing me concern. Here is the two questions/concerns I have I was hoping to get some help with:

1) Some folks on the forum here and in several related news articles I've read all say the same thing about online shopping: turn on two-step verification. The problem is, I've called every card company I am a member of (two different banks, Visa, Capital One, the list goes on) and none seem to have any secondary verification/security they can offer outside the three digital code on the back. That does me no good, as the person who committed fraud on my account somehow had that as well. The closest I came was Visa's "verify" system. Problem is, not all retailers utilize it, so that doesn't give me the coverage I'm looking for. Is it true that there isn't much more these card companies can offer to help secure my card during online purchases?

2) If there really is no way for me to get an extra layer of security, are there any other services I could go through (like say a PayPal) that will serve as an intermediary in all my purchases? That way, the thieves never have direct access to my card number itself. I've considered pre-paid cards, but those are a pain to keep loaded all the time and not convenient.

Any help/input would be much appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
2) If there really is no way for me to get an extra layer of security, are there any other services I could go through (like say a PayPal) that will serve as an intermediary in all my purchases?
Use Apple-Pay (or Samsung's version)

Use Apple-Pay (or Samsung's version)
The Android Pay site says it can be used anywhere a card can be swiped. Can it also be used for online shopping/transactions? That's my biggest issue here, as my card is fairly secure when swiping around town locally.

Zigner

The Android Pay site says it can be used anywhere a card can be swiped. Can it also be used for online shopping/transactions? That's my biggest issue here, as my card is fairly secure when swiping around town locally.
I've been to places that accepted my credit/debit card, but not Android or Apple pay.

I've been to places that accepted my credit/debit card, but not Android or Apple pay.
I actually don't care to use Android Pay when I swipe locally. I'm comfortable enough (with the chip cards) that we're safe around town. I would like to use it for any/all online transactions. So the question remains; can you use Android Pay to check out online anywhere you'd be able to enter a debit/credit card? If not, is there some type of virtual wallet equivalent through another service that would approximate the hiding of a credit card number online?

Zigner

I actually don't care to use Android Pay when I swipe locally. I'm comfortable enough (with the chip cards) that we're safe around town. I would like to use it for any/all online transactions. So the question remains; can you use Android Pay to check out online anywhere you'd be able to enter a debit/credit card? If not, is there some type of virtual wallet equivalent through another service that would approximate the hiding of a credit card number online?
You've got good intentions, but you're really deluded about the security of your card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">