• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cashed Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Todd722

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My daughter posted some items on Craigslist to sell. A person contacted her and purchased these items from her with a personal check, my daughters first mistake, for $1,000.00. Since my daughter does not have a bank account, she took it to Ace Cash Express to cash it. She said she gave them her id card, phone number and SS #. They ran the check through their machine and after taking their service fee gave her the balance. One week later, Ace contacts her and says that the check did not clear and that she is responsible to pay them back. She has tried to contact the purchaser but has had no luck reaching them. Is it my daughters responsibility to pay Ace back?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

... Is it my daughters responsibility to pay Ace back?
Yes. It is your daughter's responsibility to pay Ace back. And it is the responsibility of the Craigslist buyer to pay your daughter back.

If your daughter knows who the Craigslist buyer is, she can report him to the police for passing a bad check/theft and/or she can sue him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">