• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chances of winning?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dash23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello,

After upgrading a part in my computer, I recently sold the previous part on eBay as I no longer needed it. It is about a $150 item. The buyer paid through PayPal, received the item, and kept it for almost 2 weeks without raising any issues. The listing did not offer returns. The money posted to my account, and I deposited it, as the buyer had the item long enough for it to release. Shortly thereafter, the person disputed with PayPal, saying it did not work out of the box, despite keeping/using it for almost 2 weeks. I submitted plenty of evidence to PayPal, the fact they used the item for two weeks, and claimed it was broken out of the box, etc. PayPal decided in their favor. I called PayPal to complain, and I recorded the call(s), and informed the PayPal party at the beginning of the call that it was recorded. They admitted to me during this call that:

1.) The buyer provided no evidence that the item was defective in this case.
2.) PayPal is biased towards buyers in resolving disputes (they actually used the word bias)
3.) It is entirely possible, if not likely, that the buyer exploited PayPal's buyer protection program in this case.

The person shipped the item back to me, and I tested it extensively, and found nothing to be wrong with it, and it to be in proper working order.

Because the money already was sent from PayPal to me, my PayPal account had a negative balance. About to leave for vacation, and not able to further deal with this case, out of disgust with PayPal, I added the negative balance back, and closed my account.

Now I'm back, and the more I think about it, I want to take this person to small claims court. It's clear buyer's remorse, and I can prove the thing works fine.

Nonetheless, I'd like to know what my chances are here, and who the law helps the most.

Thank You.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello,

After upgrading a part in my computer, I recently sold the previous part on eBay as I no longer needed it. It is about a $150 item. The buyer paid through PayPal, received the item, and kept it for almost 2 weeks without raising any issues. The listing did not offer returns. The money posted to my account, and I deposited it, as the buyer had the item long enough for it to release. Shortly thereafter, the person disputed with PayPal, saying it did not work out of the box, despite keeping/using it for almost 2 weeks. I submitted plenty of evidence to PayPal, the fact they used the item for two weeks, and claimed it was broken out of the box, etc. PayPal decided in their favor. I called PayPal to complain, and I recorded the call(s), and informed the PayPal party at the beginning of the call that it was recorded. They admitted to me during this call that:

1.) The buyer provided no evidence that the item was defective in this case.
2.) PayPal is biased towards buyers in resolving disputes (they actually used the word bias)
3.) It is entirely possible, if not likely, that the buyer exploited PayPal's buyer protection program in this case.

The person shipped the item back to me, and I tested it extensively, and found nothing to be wrong with it, and it to be in proper working order.

Because the money already was sent from PayPal to me, my PayPal account had a negative balance. About to leave for vacation, and not able to further deal with this case, out of disgust with PayPal, I added the negative balance back, and closed my account.

Now I'm back, and the more I think about it, I want to take this person to small claims court. It's clear buyer's remorse, and I can prove the thing works fine.

Nonetheless, I'd like to know what my chances are here, and who the law helps the most.

Thank You.
You have the item back and the buyer has his money back. What do you expect a small claims court to do? Make the purchaser buy back the item from you?

adjusterjack

I'd like to know what my chances are here,
Zero.

and who the law helps the most.
Paypal.

This is the risk you take when you sell things through Paypal. I read about this stuff all the time and it always seems to favor the buyer.

That's why I like buying stuff on eBay. There's an eBay guarantee in addition to, or in lieu of, anything the seller promises.

Dash23

You have the item back and the buyer has his money back. What do you expect a small claims court to do? Make the purchaser buy back the item from you?
Hold the buyer to the terms of the transaction. No returns were allowed. He told PayPal it was broken to get his buyer protection return, and the item works fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">