• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged months later for purchases made with an online promo code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thefashionista

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I made a several purchases on an online clothing website for the last few months. I had a promo code of their's saved in my phone, simply under "name of store, promo code" and couldn't remember where or when I got it. When I used the code I realized that it removed a significant amount from my order and that it was great, obviously. I was excited to use the code again because of the great discount, and was expecting each time I used it for it to tell me that it had expired, but it didn't.

Last week I got an email from the online store saying that the code I had used was for a price adjustment they had given me about a year ago (which then rang a bell for me) and that it was only eligible for the first purchase I used it with. And that they would be charging my card for the amounts of all the other purchases, which they promptly did. Almost over-drafting my account. But certainly decreasing it drastically.

It doesn't seem fair or lawful that they would be able to charge my account for these purchases after the fact. I was not aware of what the discount was for and I don't believe that it is my fault that their system continued to accept it.

I contacted my bank (CapitalOne) and they wrote me back saying "Regrettably, we are unable to dispute payment arrangement situations. Please continue to attempt to resolve the dispute directly with the merchant." I'm not sure if that is legal either.

So my questions are:
1. Is it legal for them to charge my account for the full price of these purchases?
2. Should my bank dispute these charges in this case?
3. What, if anything, am I able to do in this situation?

Also, returning is not an option, as I have removed the tags and have worn most of the items already.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You used the code in violation of the rules for the code and got caught. I suspect that nobody believes your story.

swalsh411

I don't understand Capital One's response. You entered into a agreement with the merchant to purchase something for a certain price and then months later they realized they charged you the wrong price and charged your card for it against your permission. That seems pretty open and shut to me. Have you reported the transactions as fraud?

Was it ethical to use a promo code knowing you were getting a discount you were not entitled to? Probably not. But that doesn't give the merchant the right to charge your card months later.

If you do not get resolution from your bank you can file a complaint against them here

File a Complaint about a National Bank

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I made a several purchases on an online clothing website for the last few months. I had a promo code of their's saved in my phone, simply under "name of store, promo code" and couldn't remember where or when I got it. When I used the code I realized that it removed a significant amount from my order and that it was great, obviously. I was excited to use the code again because of the great discount, and was expecting each time I used it for it to tell me that it had expired, but it didn't.

Last week I got an email from the online store saying that the code I had used was for a price adjustment they had given me about a year ago (which then rang a bell for me) and that it was only eligible for the first purchase I used it with. And that they would be charging my card for the amounts of all the other purchases, which they promptly did. Almost over-drafting my account. But certainly decreasing it drastically.

It doesn't seem fair or lawful that they would be able to charge my account for these purchases after the fact. I was not aware of what the discount was for and I don't believe that it is my fault that their system continued to accept it.

I contacted my bank (CapitalOne) and they wrote me back saying "Regrettably, we are unable to dispute payment arrangement situations. Please continue to attempt to resolve the dispute directly with the merchant." I'm not sure if that is legal either.

So my questions are:
1. Is it legal for them to charge my account for the full price of these purchases?
2. Should my bank dispute these charges in this case?
3. What, if anything, am I able to do in this situation?

Also, returning is not an option, as I have removed the tags and have worn most of the items already.
**A: post the rules and regs/disclaimer of the promo code. Generally the code is meant for a single use only.

racer72

thefashionista said:
And that they would be charging my card for the amounts of all the other purchases, which they promptly did. Almost over-drafting my account. But certainly decreasing it drastically.
swalsh411 said:
Have you reported the transactions as fraud?
Based on the OP's statement, I would speculate the purchase was made using a debit card, not a credit card. This would result in much fewer protections than a purchase made with a credit card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">