• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CassiGlidwell

I was selling my wedding dress on craigslist and i turned down 3-5 people because a woman said she was going to buy it. She sent me a check that was not real. Its a fraudulent check. Can i do anything about it?

Proserpina

I was selling my wedding dress on craigslist and i turned down 3-5 people because a woman said she was going to buy it. She sent me a check that was not real. Its a fraudulent check. Can i do anything about it?

Delete your account here hon, and sign up again and don't use your real name this time, k?

Eekamouse

You sold something on Craigslist and you accepted a check? You should never accept anything but cash for anything you see on Craigslist. There is so much fraud these days and Craigslist is an ideal place to commit it for most small time crooks.

Proserpina

You sold something on Craigslist and you accepted a check? You should never accept anything but cash for anything you see on Craigslist. There is so much fraud these days and Craigslist is an ideal place to commit it for most small time crooks.

All she can do really is report it to the police. Your advice is sound though - and far, far too commonly overlooked.

FlyingRon

You decided to delete the question (and the VERY important answer) as to what state this took place in.
We can't give a reasonable answer without it.

single317dad

Have you given her the dress?

I accept checks and money orders in limited circumstances for online transactions, but I wait 10 business days after deposit before releasing any product.

FlyingRon

Have you given her the dress?

I accept checks and money orders in limited circumstances for online transactions, but I wait 10 business days after deposit before releasing any product.
Ten days doesn't mean anything. Do not confuse the "funds availability" rule with the check actually clearing. It can take weeks for a check to officially "bounce." Even if it bounces within ten days, you're probably going to be hit up with a fee from your bank for such.

single317dad

Ten days doesn't mean anything. Do not confuse the "funds availability" rule with the check actually clearing. It can take weeks for a check to officially "bounce." Even if it bounces within ten days, you're probably going to be hit up with a fee from your bank for such.
I understand that, and didn't mean to imply otherwise. Ten business days (two weeks, generally) does offer a reasonable measure of security though. In balancing my own safety with the practicality of serving the customer in a timely manner, I settled on this time period. It helps that any checks I accept are from semi-trusted sources, but I understand I may have to sue someone eventually.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">