• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child purchase on craigslist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cc man

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My son purchased a go-cart on craigslist yesterday, and it did not work (engine).

Does a kid (12 years old) have the right to return a purchase made from someone at their home?

My son purchased a go-cart on craigslist yesterday, and it did not work (engine).

Does a kid (12 years old) have the right to return a purchase made from someone at their home?

Sure, you can try but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting the money back.
You might want to explain to your son what "SOLD AS IS" means and ask him
why he didn't tell you what he was up to.
..______________________
~ A wise man once said,
admitting to our faults,
is the first step needed to eliminating them.

Last edited:

quincy

How did your son pay for the go-cart?

xylene

Fix the engine, it will be a great learning experience, as is the lesson to not buy junk that doesn't work with hard earned money. Check things work kids!

cc man

I was curious as to the law concerning child purchases.

not interested in advice on how to avoid scams. (there was an adult present, and it worked at the time of purchase)

I withdraw the question. No need for further replies.

xylene

If it worked at the time of the purchase then you are trying to scam the seller.

:rolleyes:

What difference does a child being involved make in this situation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If it worked at the time of the purchase then you are trying to scam the seller.

:rolleyes:

What difference does a child being involved make in this situation?
The OP is trying to argue that the child should be able to rescind the contract because he's under 18. I would argue that, in this case, that the adult made the purchase on behalf of the child.

adjusterjack

The OP is trying to argue that the child should be able to rescind the contract because he's under 18. I would argue that, in this case, that the adult made the purchase on behalf of the child.
Agree.

With the adult present, the seller could easily rebut any claim of disaffirmation by the minor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">