• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company is Requesting W-9 Before Refunding Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jswildcat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

My significant other purchased a spa day-pass from one of those deal-a-day sites (similar to Groupon, but done locally). The spa wouldn't accept the day-pass, so she's trying to get a refund from the deal-a-day site. They are requesting she fill out a W-9 before they refund any money. Their explanation is their parent company requires a W-9 before cutting any check. This doesn't sound appropriate, especially giving them her SSN for a mere refund.

Two questions -

1. Should a company require a W9 when you haven't done any work for them? I searched their site's terms and conditions and it doesn't list anything about a W9 required for refund.

2. If we do give them a W9, is that automatically going to cause us to report that as earned income in this years taxes?

Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

My significant other purchased a spa day-pass from one of those deal-a-day sites (similar to Groupon, but done locally). The spa wouldn't accept the day-pass, so she's trying to get a refund from the deal-a-day site. They are requesting she fill out a W-9 before they refund any money. Their explanation is their parent company requires a W-9 before cutting any check. This doesn't sound appropriate, especially giving them her SSN for a mere refund.

Two questions -

1. Should a company require a W9 when you haven't done any work for them? I searched their site's terms and conditions and it doesn't list anything about a W9 required for refund.

2. If we do give them a W9, is that automatically going to cause us to report that as earned income in this years taxes?

Thanks!
No, a company should not require a W9 in order to make a refund. Yes, its likely that the company will issue a 1099 for the money even though they are not supposed to do so. Don't give them her real SSN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">