• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist buyer charging for washer repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SWK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

We listed a high-end front-loader washer and dryer, including pedestals, on Craigslist for $300. The set had been in our laundry room (which was heated) and was then moved to our garage (which was heated). The entire set was working just fine when we moved it into the garage.

It was in our garage for one week before a buyer purchased the set. He had come to our house at 9:00 p.m. on a snowy evening. He looked at the set and said he was wary that he couldn't see it running since it wasn't plugged in to any water supply, but my husband assured him that it worked. He paid us the $300 cash. My husband helped him to load it onto a metal open trailer. The buyer proceeded to take it to his house, which is an hour away.

The next night, my husband received a text from the buyer, stating that when he turned on the machine, it leaked from one of the intake water valves. He said that residual water inside the washer probably froze and caused the leak. He texted that he would look into how much the replacement part would be. We did not respond.

Today, the buyer's wife called my husband, stating that the replacement part would be $40, and that installation would cost at least $100. They are expecting us to pay for this.

Legally, do they have any way to force us to cover this? We don't think we are at fault at all. The machine probably froze while he was on his way home--or he may have left it on his trailer overnight, since he didn't get hold of us until the next day. We don't see how we could be at fault here.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell the buyers to enjoy their new washer. Then ignore them (unless you receive an actual legal claim from them, of course.)

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

We listed a high-end front-loader washer and dryer, including pedestals, on Craigslist for $300. The set had been in our laundry room (which was heated) and was then moved to our garage (which was heated). The entire set was working just fine when we moved it into the garage.

It was in our garage for one week before a buyer purchased the set. He had come to our house at 9:00 p.m. on a snowy evening. He looked at the set and said he was wary that he couldn't see it running since it wasn't plugged in to any water supply, but my husband assured him that it worked. He paid us the $300 cash. My husband helped him to load it onto a metal open trailer. The buyer proceeded to take it to his house, which is an hour away.

The next night, my husband received a text from the buyer, stating that when he turned on the machine, it leaked from one of the intake water valves. He said that residual water inside the washer probably froze and caused the leak. He texted that he would look into how much the replacement part would be. We did not respond.

Today, the buyer's wife called my husband, stating that the replacement part would be $40, and that installation would cost at least $100. They are expecting us to pay for this.

Legally, do they have any way to force us to cover this? We don't think we are at fault at all. The machine probably froze while he was on his way home--or he may have left it on his trailer overnight, since he didn't get hold of us until the next day. We don't see how we could be at fault here.

caveat emptor

Legally, do they have any way to force us to cover this?
Possibly. The buyer can sue you for breach of contract. His argument can be that you induced the sale by falsely assuring him that the washer worked.

Will he win? Maybe, maybe not. Based on what you stated, you probably have the better argument simply because there is likely not much evidence either way. The plaintiff has the burden of proving his case, so you'd win if there is no particular reason to believe the buyer over you. But it's also possible that the buyer will come across as more believable for some reason, and you less believable. If that happens, then the buyer may win.

If I were you, I would probably bite the bullet and offer to pay for half of the repair in exchange for a full release of liability. But if you want to be a little riskier, then wait to see if you're sued, and defend yourself in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">