• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thewallinator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I purchased a dog off of Craigslist Friday afternoon. I asked if the dog received all of it shots and had documentation. The seller told me she sent me a copy of her shot record to my email. When I met her Friday to meet the dog it was very calm. It was a little skinny but seemed perfect to surprise my fiancé. I get home and the dog is happy and eats. We go to bed and the next morning the dog is sick. She throws up, won't eat, and won't leave her bed. I thought she was upset with me for getting onto her for pottying in the house or sad for being in a different environment. I let the day go on and come home and now she really will not get out of bed and has not eaten or even pottied in the house. So of course I panic and take her to the emergency clinic to find out she has parvo aka what the lady said she gave the dog a shot for a week ago. The medical expenses are going to be $1700. The vet is saying the dog never received any sort of vaccination.

The seller would only make contact through a craigslist sponsored email and when they called their number has no caller id. I have emailed the seller askeing her to pay for part of the treatment. I have a good feeling she will decline. So now I am debating on suing her for false advertisement. Is this a worthy case?

justalayman

how does the vet know the dog did not receive any vaccinations? It's not like there is some national database where all animal vaccinations must be registered or such.

You mentioned the dog had not "pottied" in the house yet one of the foremost symptoms of parvo is diarrhea and it is often bloody diarrhea. The fact it appears your dog did not experience this symptom, I would be concerned it is the correct diagnosis. How did the vet diagnose the illness?

Vaccinations for parvo are not always successful

the incubation period for parvo, depending on the source of info, varies between 3 and 14 days.

It is quite possible the dog had been vaccinated a week ago but had already been infected.

. The seller told me she sent me a copy of her shot record to my email.
did she?

Thanks for taking the dog in to the ER vet. Please continue with this dog's treatment. If the cost of the treatment is a problem, most cities have organizations that may be able to help. It takes a little searching, but there are resources out there.

On the going potty in the house problem, this is easily correctable with some positive reinforcement training (negative reinforcement does not usually work and leads to other issues). Local shelters, rescues, or humane societies, may have training available at low or no cost...a little training goes a long way in correcting issues like this.

On top of the parvo issue, the poor dog is in a new environment and is probably confused, anxious and unsure of what happens next.

Unfortunately, Craigslist has become a haven for the selling of stolen and sick dogs. That being said, the ones that really suffer are the animals. Many people will simply let these dogs go loose to fend for themselves or they will turn them in to kill shelters. Many will end up injured or killed from being hit by cars.

Hoping your dog gets better soon...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">