• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NAVYAC

In Virginia. Basically a guy advertised a "brand new" Apple iMac for sale that I responded to. We agreed on $1400 and completed the sale. Being computer illiterate I wasn't familiar with the different models of iMac (stupid I know) but after researching my new purchase I realized the retail value was only $1129. I emailed him back and just told him he was a crook and thanks for ripping me off but also thanks for the lesson, not expecting to hear back from him. He immediately called me and emailed me back saying he was sorry and that he would gladly refund me $300 because he felt bad and didn't need the "karma". He then sent me a western union confirmation showing he sent me $271. In between the time the transfer cleared, he cancelled the order and stopped responding to me. Do I have a case in small claims based on him agreeing to send me the money and even going so far as to send it?? He no longer is communicating with me but I have all his information. Thanks

CSO286

So even though he replied via email and voicemail that he was incorrect in what he charged me and he would give me $300 to make it right, u still don't think I would have a case?
He wasn't incorrect in what he charged you. You agreed to pay it. Just because he later felt guilty doesn't mean he he OWED you the difference.
Due diligence is your obligation.

Guess his guilt went away.

NAVYAC

He wasn't incorrect in what he charged you. You agreed to pay it. Just because he later felt guilty doesn't mean he he OWED you the difference.
Due diligence is your obligation.

Guess his guilt went away.
I guess I figured it became a contractual thing when he agreed to it, sent the money and then cancelled it but I guess I was wrong

BL

I guess I figured it became a contractual thing when he agreed to it, sent the money and then cancelled it but I guess I was wrong
He made a profit.

I just sold a PC tower that didn't cost me a dime ,does that mean I ripped someone off ?

NAVYAC

He made a profit.

I just sold a PC tower that didn't cost me a dime ,does that mean I ripped someone off ?
I guess I'm just wondering if he initiated a contract with me by admitting g the mistake and then taking steps to reimburse me and then cancel the refund

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess I'm just wondering if he initiated a contract with me by admitting g the mistake and then taking steps to reimburse me and then cancel the refund
His offer did not rise to the level of a contract.

Do a Google search for required elements of a contract and read. You will learn why.

ETA: It wasn't a mistake. You and he agreed on a price. You later complained about it and, worried about the karmic consequences, he decided to give you some money back. He was under no obligation (contractual or otherwise) to do so. He later changed his mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">