• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lenalee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I posted a couch on Craigslist for sale. I marked it as leather and the couch is bonded leather. Someone a few blocks from me paid and came in person to pick the couch up. I told him when he was standing there that it was bonded leather. Apparently he didn't know what that was. He took it and seemed really happy with his purchase and then the following day he told me he wanted to return it. He didn't ask me in person anything further about the couch, he touched it and he said he liked it and took it. I told him that I wouldn't accept a return and now he is threatening to sue me for falsely advertising, even tho he knew the material it was made of beforehand. He is saying that bonded leather is vinyl and not leather at all... Which is untrue, bonded leather is made of strips and pieces of leather and vinyl is made of PVC. So, considering he came in person and was happy when he came to purchase it, I am treating it as buyer's remorse and he was also very rude to me so I am not willing to accept a return. He accused me of trying to scam him even though I told him the material before it even left the room that it sat in. I stated in my ad the condition of the product as well, I stated that it was scratched from my cat and I pointed out those scratches when he came to buy it along with telling him the material. In the CL ad I used photos from the website that I bought the couch on, I offered photos of the couch as it was to anyone who wanted, he did not request more photos.

Would he have any case against me at all considering that the item was picked up in person?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Most likely not. It's easy to scream "I'll sue." Moderately more difficult to actually do so. And if this sofa is, in fact, bonded leather, then he's unlikley to prevail.

Lenalee

I have the original receipt from Overstock stating bonded leather. He kept telling me it's vinyl... He doesn't even know the difference between vinyl which is made of polyvinyl chloride and bonded leather made from leather scraps and bondants. I figured he wouldn't get far since he knew before he took it. Thanks for the info!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">