• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist sale gone bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoeyStack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I sold a Radio on Craigslist. My short ad had 3 pictures, radio model, price ($250), nothing else. I tested the radio before listing the ad just to be sure everything was 100%, everything worked no issues. I meet seller at local parking lot and hand him the radio (inside a bag) and I say "check it out". Buyer says "It works?". I say "Yes". Buyer gives me cash and just takes the bag and doesn't seem to want to bother inspecting the radio, so I take the bag and open it up for him and show him the radio and what is included (spare antenna etc.). Radio is ac powered not battery powered and there were no ac outlets around but we could have found one if he wanted to plug it in to test it.

5 days later buyer texts me saying the radio has been displaying a "service error code" and he can't get it to work, can't use it, and he wants a refund. There were absolutely no such error codes when I tested it before the sale. I suspect he is telling the truth about the problem, but I never had it happen when I had the radio. I don't know what happened after he took possession of it - maybe he dropped it, switched parts in it, or he just got unlucky timing since everything eventually fails. Now he is bombing my phone with the same text saying that he wants a refund.

Thanks for any input or advice or opinions

xylene

Tell the seller that first things first he needs to to a simple error code reset (which is likely as esay as unplugging for a day or holding down the power button for 30-90 seconds, or pressing a hidden reset button, or pressing and holding the power and another console button, all depending on the exact radio - which he needs to look up), and whatever the result that he bought a used radio in an AS-IS sale and to leave you alone.

JoeyStack

Thank you for the response. The buyer said it was a "fatal" error meaning it would cost more to fix/service than the radio is worth. I have not responded back, and am not sure if I should. He keeps texting me and calling for a refund but I have not answered his texts/calls.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">