• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist sale and receipt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VincentVega

I recently listed and sold a boat motor on Craigslist. The motor started and ran. I listed it for $900 and sold it for $725 to a guy who flips motors. I wrote up a receipt for the sale with the date, sale price, the phrase "as is with no warranties" and signed it. I made a copy and presented to the buyer. Three days later, he called me and said a component of the motor wasn’t functioning properly and he would have to replace it before reselling with his warranty. He wants $100 back to help cover the repairs. He has threatened legal action.
The motor functioned fine for me prior removing it from my pontoon. I also had a mechanic check the motor over last fall to verify it was ok and saleable. It feels like he’s asking me to guarantee he’ll make money on his flip.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently listed and sold a boat motor on Craigslist. The motor started and ran. I listed it for $900 and sold it for $725 to a guy who flips motors. I wrote up a receipt for the sale with the date, sale price, the phrase "as is with no warranties" and signed it. I made a copy and presented to the buyer. Three days later, he called me and said a component of the motor wasn’t functioning properly and he would have to replace it before reselling with his warranty. He wants $100 back to help cover the repairs. He has threatened legal action.
The motor functioned fine for me prior removing it from my pontoon. I also had a mechanic check the motor over last fall to verify it was ok and saleable. It feels like he’s asking me to guarantee he’ll make money on his flip.

Tell him to pound sand (if you're in the U.S.)

single317dad

Sounds like the buyer might have been hedging his bets to keep the ability to invoke Wisconsin's three-day right to cancel, which I do not believe applies here anyway.

Tell him to pound sand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">