• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist: Sold item 45 days ago buyer wants refund or repair cost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fatlard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I sold a printer on Craigslist about 45 days ago. In the Craigslist description I stated "fully functional".

During the sale, the two test prints were made and working fine. Transaction completed with item and money exchanged. Item, since it was large, was disassemble and place into the back of buyers car.

Fast forward 45 days. Buyer contacts me and said he just put it together and he has problems with the printer. It printed once fine and then stopped working. Errors out and will no longer print. Contacts me and I provided some information (tips, info, service manual).

He said it will most likely need to be repaired and wants me to either pay for the repair or offer him a full refund.

How liable am I for this?

Last edited:

wyett717

You are not liable for it. The item was in working condition when you sold it, as was demonstrated when you did the test print with the buyer. Any problems with the item are the responsibility of the buyer, especially after waiting 45 days to use the machine.

fatlard

Do you guys think I will be liable for anything? even though I advertised fully functional.

Here was his email

This is the first time I have used this printer and I get a "severe error" message. I will most likely have to now find some place to bring this in to get it repaired---do you happen to know of a repair center?

If I do this, and they tell me (in writing) that whatever has to be repaired was/is something that did not "just happen," and it is most likely the condition it was in before I bought it (probably not likely, due to you and I printing out a test page, AND myself printing out 1 on Friday night before it stopped working), then I WILL EXPECT YOU OR YOUR COMPANY TO PAY FOR THE REPAIR. I will call you to let you know the amount before repair authorization with the amount, if it was indeed an issue the printer had prior to my purchase. If the repair is something you could not have known about, or it "just happened," then I will pay for the repair myself and just chalk it up to buying from Craigslist (you get a better price, but assume more risk).

If you do not like the above, I can return the printer and paper for a refund of the $1100 purchase price.

Last edited:

fatlard

Yes, it was fully functional when he took ownership. We printed out 2 test copies and I recommended that he printed out a few more.

He states even printed one copy out after he moved it home. Keep in mind.. this was after 45 days.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please see post #2 in this thread for the correct answer.\

However, if the repair is $50 then it might be easier on everyone involved just to pay it and have him sign a waiver to release you from ANY further responsibility.

fatlard

My response via email

We are sorry to hear about your troubles with the printer.

This transaction was made through Craigslist and sold as is. During the sale, we printed out serveral test and was in good working order. Furthermore, it has been 45 days since the purchase date of 10/03/2008. During this time it was not in our possession nor under our control. Furthermore, the printer could have been damaged during transport or storage.

We will not be paying for the repair of the printer nor providing a refund.

Roo

The buyer can pound sand. It was working when he bought it and it worked once after he brought it home. Who's to say his reassembly techniques weren't faulty?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The buyer can pound sand. It was working when he bought it and it worked once after he brought it home. Who's to say his reassembly techniques weren't faulty?
Or that a voltage surge at the buyer's premises didn't fry the systemboard? :eek:

Zigner

The buyer replies

"Trust me---you will pay for the repair if required!"

Is that a threat? Should I be worried?
I would ignore any further communication (emails) from this person.
Of course, if he actually IS stupid enough to file some sort of lawsuit, you will have to respond appropriately, but there is no use in continuing a pissing match.

fatlard

Yes. I am going to cease all communication with the buyer. The waiting game begins to see what he plans to do. I think he will try to forward me a repair estimate which my company and I will plan on ignoring.

I hope he isn't implying to do bodily harm to me with his last response.

I would ignore any further communication (emails) from this person.
Of course, if he actually IS stupid enough to file some sort of lawsuit, you will have to respond appropriately, but there is no use in continuing a pissing match.

Zigner

Yes. I am going to cease all communication with the buyer. The waiting game begins to see what he plans to do. I think he will try to forward me a repair estimate which my company and I will plan on ignoring.

I hope he isn't implying to do bodily harm to me with his last response.
Actually, "You will pay for the repair, if required" could mean "If the court requires that you pay it, you will".

I wouldn't worry about it just yet...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">