• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card fraud question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bosch12014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

A disabled friend of 12 years is now trying to accuse me of credit card fraud. I no longer live with him but when I did (for 10+ years) I handled most all of his finances. He was on my cell phone plan and I was unable to keep up with the cost of the plan. I had not been speaking to him for over a month and needed to shut off his phone. He gave me his debit card number previously to make payments on my wireless account to help pay for his share of the bill. I used his card to purchase him a cheap prepaid phone to use after my phone was shut off. When he received the phone he emailed me and was delighted to have it. He started having problems with getting it activated and things started getting nasty. He then hated the phone and began questioning why I used his account to purchase the phone. He filed a complaint with his bank and has returned the phone to the wireless provider for a refund. He was threaten me saying I would end up in jail because of this and that his banker confirmed it was fraud (after originally telling him it was considered "friendly fraud".) Do I have anything to worry about? The charge was less than $60 and as I stated, he returned the phone for a refund. The purchase was made online in his name and the phone was mailed directly from the merchant to his house.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Since your friend received a refund, he has no grounds to (successfully) sue.

If the police show up asking questions, don't talk to them unless instructed to do so by an attorney.

bosch12014

Since your friend received a refund, he has no grounds to (successfully) sue.

If the police show up asking questions, don't talk to them unless instructed to do so by an attorney.
Thank you for the reply. I spoke with a friend here who is a retired police detective and he said the circumstances wouldn't warrant anything to be done. We also live in different states and he didn't think they would bother to make a stink about it considering the amount of the transaction and the fact he accepted the phone in the first place and is now returning it for a refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">