• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Received Service, Made Partial Payment, Credit Card Declined for Balance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blossomthyme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I don't know if this is the correct placement for this question, but I have a website and offer consulting services for 11 years now. Occasionally, someone will try to get services for free by requesting additional time for the consult.

This one particular client has stiffed me for $156.00. Not much, but the problem here is that I am in Maryland and she is in Arkansas. Is there a way for me to collect this money? In fact, I told her through e-mail, that she intentionally stole services and I will contact the police department in her area to file fraud/theft charges. She paid for the initial consult with the credit card she gave, but the remaining balance she knew in advance was not available on the card.

How can I go about either collecting the money, and is it possible to file a theft charge within her jurisdiction. I just don't want her to get away with it.

Thank you,
Blossom

swalsh411

This is a civil matter. You provided services; she hasn't paid you. You can sue her or sell the debt to a collection agency.

Maybe you get payment before providing services?

blossomthyme

Thank you for your response. I thought it might be a civil matter, but isn't it also theft since she knew she did not have the money? I usually do run the cards before providing my services completely. Every now and then this happens, not often.

I've never sold a debt to a collection agency. I do I go about doing that?

Since my business is on the web, I have all the IP addresses of my visitors, and in this case, I do have her "tracks"--IP address, Internet Service Provider, her agreement to the terms of my service by email; in addition to receipts with all the above information that she opened emails from me. I use a software that tracks when and how often individuals open their emails which also sends IP information.

So I do have all the information I need to verify her call activity including telephone logs.

But I'd really like to know about theft. It is stealing services.

Also is it possible to sue her in another state?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">