• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kmosley

Can you contact people or potential customers who post on a public Facebook page and tell them to research the business/owner before purchasing their products? I never bad mouth the business I simply say to look them up and the BBB and research them.

quincy

Can you contact people or potential customers who post on a public Facebook page and tell them to research the business/owner before purchasing their products? I never bad mouth the business I simply say to look them up and the BBB and research them.
What is the name of your state, Kmosley, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

There is no law against talking to people or communicating with them about a company, its products or its services. If what you say to others about a company (either orally or in writing) is the truth or pure opinion (that does not state or imply any false facts), you can speak about a business/owner to others without too much legal risk.

Relating personal experiences with a company or product to friends and acquaintances is common. Another person's experience with a company can help you make your own decision as to whether to hire a company or purchase a product or service from that company.

Word-of-mouth advertising is a form of advertising both desired by businesses (if consumers are satisfied) and feared by businesses (if consumers are not).

Bottom line: Telling someone to research a company would not on its own be defamation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">