• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deposit left for item

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

above82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Can someone posting an ad on craigslist ask for a deposit and your license before allowing to let you test ride the item i.e. motorcycle.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Can someone posting an ad on craigslist ask for a deposit and your license before allowing to let you test ride the item i.e. motorcycle.
Keeps the bike from riding off into the sunset.... :cool:

sandyclaus

Sure they can. It's not illegal (that I am aware).

If a deposit is given, then the person should receive a signed WRITTEN receipt for the amount of the deposit, clearly explaining what the money was for and that is refundable or can be applied towards the purchase.

As for the driver's license, they can ask to hold that as well. It proves that the prospective buyer is properly licensed and gives the seller some way to track them should they disappear with the bike. (Most car dealers already do this as well.)

swalsh411

They could also require that you wear a "Who farted?" t-shirt and sing Cher hits while test driving the bike. Bottom line is that if you don't like the terms then go look at another bike.

sandyclaus

They could also require that you wear a "Who farted?" t-shirt and sing Cher hits while test driving the bike. Bottom line is that if you don't like the terms then go look at another bike.
I want to get one of those T-shirts and force my kid to wear it while he mows the laws! :D:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">