• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kmgerald

Bought a new home with gas appliances. I bake and never used gas so I bought an electric range. Found a buyer on Craigslist for the gas stove, and delivered to to him 3 months ago for $300. He called today saying the stove had a gas leak and he had to pay over $200 to get fixed. He's also claiming the stove was covered in "gunk". I personally cleaned the stove before it was sold and now he wants his money back or claims to be taking me to small claims court.

quincy

Bought a new home with gas appliances. I bake and never used gas so I bought an electric range. Found a buyer on Craigslist for the gas stove, and delivered to to him 3 months ago for $300. He called today saying the stove had a gas leak and he had to pay over $200 to get fixed. He's also claiming the stove was covered in "gunk". I personally cleaned the stove before it was sold and now he wants his money back or claims to be taking me to small claims court.
If you did not make any false claims about the stove and it was sold "as is" and the purchaser had the opportunity to inspect the stove prior to purchase, the purchaser has little to support a suit against you.

You can seek out advice from an attorney in your area but small claims actions generally do not require an attorney's assistance. The judge will weigh what is said by both parties and look at what is presented in the way of evidence, and make a decision.

single317dad

To add to quincy's excellent advice, which you should certainly heed, I would add that any further communication between you and the buyer beyond "enjoy your stove; goodbye" is unnecessary. I wouldn't communicate with the buyer any further outside of filed court documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">